Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LNYMRKO

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
I have an iPad Air in which I'm trying to find a viable solution for my photo syncing needs. I have multiple sub-folders and thousands of photos in each, and I'm trying to keep them organised in a manner that all of the sub-folders are organised and keep the same folder structure on the iPad as on my computer (Windows).

Folder structure example:

- My Pictures

-- Trips
--- New York
--- Paris
--- Rome

-- Clients
--- Client 1
---- Project 1
---- Project 2
--- Client 2
--- Client 3

-- Stock
--- Chairs
--- Tables
---- Dining
---- Study
--- Rugs

The problem I'm finding is that every photo from the New York, Paris, and Rome folders are on the iPad under the one big folder Trips. With the amount of photos I have in there it makes it extremely difficult to find what I'm after on the go.

In light of iOS' sub-folder limitations I've tried a 3rd party application called HD-PhotoSort for my needs, which is capable of supporting multiple sub-folders, however it is only accessible via an FTP option, there is no actual syncing, so if I make a vast amount of changes to the folders, names, and photos (including removing photos/sub-folders entirely) it doesn't replicate across. I know there are options for FTP sync however I've found it's not very reliable, and often causes the app to crash.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas or possible solutions that I could try? Anyone else have an app they use for this kind of thing?

For reference, the app I'm currently using: https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/photo-sort-for-ipad/id369610590?mt=8

Thanks!

checkbox

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2012
I'm looking for this precisely and so far I've found a decent solution but it might not be applicable to you if you don't have a Creative Cloud subscription (which is by no means free).

I imported my folder structure in Lightroom and have synced it to my Lightroom App. That's the closest I could find so far. Not elegant, not direct, and definitely not cheap (I did have the subscription for other reasons though so in my case it was kind of a freebie)... but usable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.