Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you upgrade to iOS 9 [Public Beta Program]

• Yes, I will directly update to the first beta of iOS 9

Votes: 33 51.6%
  • Yes, I will wait a bit (2 - 3) beta's later

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Yes, wait for some users that report about the stability

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • No, I will not upgrade to iOS 9 Public Beta

Votes: 14 21.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mac-lover3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2014
Belgium
Now Apple has decided to distribute pre-releases to the public like OSX a little time to think about it.

I think they did a good job making it public to solve/discover bugs in the system but they hardly listen to the people who report bugs on OSX if they start to solve these discovered bugs I think a has a lot more potential then now. Also we are more than half of the cycle through iOS 8 that on 8.3 looks more stable than iOS 8.1.3. Now there are not a lot of things people can complain about but in June at WWDC they probably will enroll iOS 9 that will have a lot more bugs than iOS 8.3 has. People will get scarred if their device will not respond anymore and this WILL HAPPEN. Although iOS 9 should be a performance & stability improvement it will be buggy like every iOS version in the first beta.

How do you think they are going to roll out the Public Beta of iOS?
Will you directly upgrade from iOS 8.X to iOS 9?
Will developers and Public Beta testers get the update at the same time?

For some clarity a poll. Your vote will not be public.

Last edited:

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
For users who opted for the public beta of OSX as well as developers of iOS and OSX have alreadh received emails to enroll their devices for the public beta. Their simply install a profile and then go to softwere update OTA and download Public 8.3 Beta 1. This is the best decision Apple has done. A way for a bug free OS for good.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
I reported a bug that screws up the layout of bookmarks in Safari when you rotate the device (if you have bookmarks folders) back at iOS 8.0 beta. Still haven't been fixed in the latest 8.3 beta.

Mac-lover3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2014
Belgium
I reported a bug that screws up the layout of bookmarks in Safari when you rotate the device (if you have bookmarks folders) back at iOS 8.0 beta. Still haven't been fixed in the latest 8.3 beta.
Could you post screenshot what's wrong everything is normal on my iPhone 5 running 8.3..

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Gonna allow some of you to be guinea pigs. I already did the guinea pig thing a couple versions ago and didn't appreciate being a small furry mammal among the giant feline bugs. :)

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
It will depend on how they show iOS9, I really do want them to focus most of their dev time on really cleaning up these bugs that have hung around with IOS8 features. HealthKit, 3rd Party Keyboards, copy/paste, graphic bugs etc. SAFARI NEEDS TO BE REWRITTEN

If they add 4 new features to it and don't really mention about optimization and reliably, I won't upgrade to the IOS9 beta, it has gotten harder and harder to trust new software releases from Apple this last year.

Yes, I know its a beta, I won't expect it to be bug free no software ever is, unless they are promoting optimizations and reliability over IOS8 :rolleyes:

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom

Lots of bugs still haven't been fixed - for example, on my 6 Plus, going into the Safari tab view, then rotating to landscape and back again, results in the tab bar at the bottom going blank.

Just one of the plethora I can think of off the top of my head.

leedsT

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2015
Does 8.3 fix the back/forward arrows in Safari? Ever since iOS 8 the forward button has been slightly thicker than he backward arrow. Really brings out the OCD in me!

Mac-lover3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2014
Belgium
Now we all have been playing with the Public Beta what's your experience ? Did everything went well? Does it run better than iOS 8.1.3 and how is battery life?

My experience is good no random reboots, no strange bugs, updating went smooth. Battery life is almost the same.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Now we all have been playing with the Public Beta what's your experience ? Did everything went well? Does it run better than iOS 8.1.3 and how is battery life?

My experience is good no random reboots, no strange bugs, updating went smooth. Battery life is almost the same.

There are a few different existing 8.3 beta threads where that aspect of it all is discussed.

sziehr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
The public beta idea helped them with 10.10 I think they are hoping for a similar result with iOS 8. I am in hopes they extend this into the iOS 9 release so the adventurous users can sniff out the bugs so that they can avert another black eye. I have to say yes ios 8 was bad very bad it was no vista or windows me. I see a lot of complaining but some perspective is needed it was not the device killer on the scale of blue screen of death people keep saying it was.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.