ios rant...

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by fisherking, Oct 12, 2012.

1. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

just some things i don't understand:

why can't i swipe to delete calendar entries? i can do this in many apps on my phone, why not the calendar? (instead of the many steps it's ALWAYS taken).

why can't i have notes show alphabetically? they're that way on my mac.

why can't i delete apps i never use? newsstand, game center, stocks...
    easy enough to offer them as installs, if.

why do i need contacts as a separate app? i always access and/or edit my contacts from within the phone app.

why can't i customize sounds? in particular, the send and receive text message sounds? (i'd like to, at least, turn off the send sound).

why can't we have toggles (say, in the notification drop down) to, for example, wifi, or bluetooth?

why can't we customize our lockscreens? icons? anything?

ok, enough for now.
    apple is an amazing company, making great software and hardware.
    i just don't understand why so many obvious things aren't either fixed or offered. :confused:

2. canesalato macrumors 6502a

canesalato

About contacts on a separate app: you can't access contacs from the phone app during a phone call

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have similar complaints but my text message sounds are custom. Sent texts though; I don't think I can change that.
    Why? Because Apple does what they want.

4. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

How about:

Why does the ios look exactly the same as it does 5 years ago and why can't I customize the simplest things like colors? Surely it's not a strain on the vaunted A5 and A6 chip.

5. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

Actually you can.
    Click the "add a call" button. You can scroll thru all your contacts and see whatever you need with out disconnecting your call or actually adding the new person to the call. I know it's a workaround but if you need it you got it.

6. fisherking thread starter macrumors 601

fisherking

i just don't get it. i'll jailbreak my phone (i've ALWAYS done that) to get much of what i want.

but how long before i can swipe to delete in the calendar? and why is apple so rigid about simple GUI customizations?

why can't we choose between something like the previous phone dialer and the new one? why can't we make our phones more ours, if that's what we want to do?

ah, well. i still prefer iOS to the os on my (recently sold) android tablet...

7. canesalato macrumors 6502a

canesalato

that's a nice tip! Never thought about using it that way. Thanks for sharing =)

8. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Soooo. You're moaning for the sake of moaning?

Android is a cluster **** of customization. iOS is what it is. Its unmistakeable.

I don't understand people obsession with changing the UI.

9. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

Thanks, I know it's not perfect but its a pretty good workaround

10. ncaissie macrumors 6502a

ncaissie

Not everyone wants same old same old.
    Why can't Apple just offer Themes? We know it's easy to do simply because it's done through jailbreaking. Apple is forcing people to JB their phones tablets to simply change the look. I know this because it's the only reason I JB.

11. fisherking thread starter macrumors 601

fisherking

no, i'd like to have more options WITHOUT jailbreaking. and, am much as i look at my iphone during each day, why can't i have it more to my liking?

i save my 'moaning for the sake of moaning' for family & friends, not forums.. :cool:

12. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Theming isn't always good. Apple want their OS to look the same way. If you go into an Apple store a Genius will be able to solve your issues due to the consistency through out the range. Thats why their support is second to none.

Imagine going in to a store and you've changed it all about.

If you want to hack your device to make it look how you want then thats your choice. I like that I can move from my iPad to iPhone with no OS inconsitancy.

But thats my opinion and most likely irrelevant :)

13. fisherking thread starter macrumors 601

fisherking

am not talking about hacking apps to work in some odd way. i doubt that having, say, a choice between the old phone dialer and the new one would in ANY WAY impact the phone's performance, of confuse an apple genius..

look at my original post. these are simple things, not weird ones.. :D

14. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

This. When a co-worker has a problem with an iOS device, Windows desktop or Mac, I know where to go every time, because the UI has core consistencies. I can quickly solve the problem.

When a colleague has an Android device or linux desktop that needs fixing, I groan because my first step has to be getting acquainted with the customization they've done and learn their interface. Eventually I'll get it, but it slows me down every time.

Don't get me wrong, I love linux, and I respect Android users. But there is a price to pay for extreme customization.

----------

If they're that simple, then I recommend you get into the jailbreak community and code those tweaks yourself, and show everyone including Tim Cook how it's done. Since you know, it's so easy. :) You might even get a job at Apple for schooling them on it.

15. fisherking thread starter macrumors 601

fisherking

seriously, look at my list. swiping to delete a calendar entry? i can do that in other ios apps, why not there? custom sounds? alphabetical notes? deleting unused apps? these are not dangerous ideas, or complicated ones.

if i want something seriously different, jailbreaking gives me that option.
    but i'm talking about SIMPLE things. again, read my original post...

16. Carouser macrumors 65816

There's all kinds of reasons for these different issues. Here's some:

1) It's not worth it for Apple to expend resources on a feature which will not alter their bottom line
    2) Some changes would have negative consequences for usability, stability, inter-app function, ease-of-use, aesthetics, etc. By focusing on how they would work in an ideal case, you miss all these negative externalities. Some of those negative consequences aren't obvious to anybody but those working at Apple who are responsible for avoiding such problems.
    3) Apple believes in choice. They want to make iOS they way they want to and let consumers decide what is best for them, whether it's an Apple product or a competitor's product. They are not interested in turning iOS into Android.

Simple GUI customizations turn an intuitive, appealing, consistent UI into a dog's breakfast, matched in its terribleness only by energy drink logos and myspace layouts. There is no reason for Apple to enable them for the reasons listed above.

17. fisherking thread starter macrumors 601

fisherking

that makes no sense. apple does NOT believe in choice: they want everyone's iphone to look the same way.

anyway, that's not my argument. swiping to delete a calendar event is IN KEEPING with other ios apps.

having TWO phone dialer GUI choices will not disrupt anything.

being able to delete unused apps will not impact what is being used.
    apple even offers several things (like find my phone) as an OPTIONAL install.

i'm not talking about rewriting code. i'm asking to turn off the text message sent sound.

these simple things will not affect apple's bottom line! :rolleyes:

18. 1member1 macrumors 6502

I believe it will all take time. It's easier to come out with open source addition than iOS but it will eventually will be better and smooth.

19. Carouser macrumors 65816

Apple is allowed to make whatever product they want, and people are free to choose it. They make something different from competitors, thus offering choice.

Getting employees to implement them would cost money better spent elsewhere, because doing these things would not sell more iOS devices. They might implement them in the future because the economics of it changes. It's called resource allocation.

I never said every change would have negative consequences, but some of them might, and that unless you implement and test these changes across a number of contexts (whether it's at the level of the processor, the user interface, or future changes Apple wants to make), I doubt you can imagine all the variables which have to be accounted for. Otherwise you end up with Homercar.

Did you want an honest explanation why these things aren't in iOS 6 or did you want validation for your grievances? You did say it was a rant, so my mistake.

20. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yeah, I read your post, and I understood it. You can repeat "it's SO SIMPLE!" over and over again here. But that's not going to magically make these "simple" things happen.

Clearly, no one at Apple is bothering to do this (you did give them feedback, right?). Either it's because they don't want to, or because it's not as simple as you think. For whatever reason though, if they aren't going to do it on stock iOS, what option do you have other than switch platforms or jailbreak?

21. fisherking thread starter macrumors 601

fisherking

i'm sure that implementing swipe to delete in calendar, or setting 'text message sent sound' to none, will require a team of people, working around the clock, for weeks, to implement...

apple does not offer choices; other companies provide an alternative to apple products.

i PREFER apple products, always have. am only asking for things which, as has been pointed out above, will probably come in time (ie swipe to delete).

22. Carouser macrumors 65816

Nobody said it did. If Apple has two cents and two seconds to spend, they'll spend it where it counts the most. This round, it didn't go towards the things you want.

Building iOS isn't just running through a checklist where they click features on and off.

Apple offers products just like every other company. People are free to choose what they want. Anything else is splitting hairs or special pleading.

23. fisherking thread starter macrumors 601

fisherking

your quote:
    "Getting employees to implement them would cost money better spent elsewhere, because doing these things would not sell more iOS devices. They might implement them in the future because the economics of it changes. It's called resource allocation."

anyway, we disagree. no stress! but i stand by my original post...

24. ncaissie macrumors 6502a

ncaissie

Oh, come on! Changing an Icon is not the same as changing the Operating system.
    And it changing the icon confuses you then you shouldn’t be helping anyone. Sorry no offence but it’s that simple.

----------

I believe are arguments are falling on deaf ears.

25. raf66 macrumors regular

Coming from the world of Android for the last 2 1/2 years, I understand some of your frustrations, though I don't necessarily share them.

With the Android phones, you have the ability to essentially customize EVERYTHING, much of which can be done without rooting the Android OS. Been there done that. However, it is this very ability to customize that gets Android criticized for being buggy, laggy, quirky, disjointed, etc. I'm not saying that customizing one single app necessarily causes lags or bugs, but once you open things up to customization, where do you stop? And when MANY things start getting customized in ways not intended by the manufacturer, you get buggy, laggy, quirky, disjointed, etc. Again, been there done that.

Your frustrations are not new to the iPhone. Heck many would argue that the lack of being able to customize to each user's personal predilections is what gave rise to the Android system in the first place (or at least gave rise to that system's popularity). But the thing is, this is the way Apple has done things from the beginning: make the iOS more of a "closed" (for lack of better terminology) system so that the iOS behaves exactly the same way for every user. The new iteration of iPhone and iOS didn't behave differently or unexpectedly from previous versions. Surely this didn't surprise you.

I chose to leave the Android system because I got tired of customizing and tweaking the OS. Over time, doing so made my phone slow, destroyed my battery life, and made my phone nearly unusable with repeated crashes/hangups requiring constant battery pulls. It was a breath of fresh air when I got the iPhone 5. I don't plan on jailbreaking or customizing things to fit my personal ideals of how the phone should act. I use the phone for its intended purpose and in the ways countenanced by Apple. That's obviously my personal choice and is not for everyone. But for those wanting something different, there are plenty of other smartphones on the market sporting all manner of operating systems.

This is how iPhones have been from their inception and people knew that going in, so buy something else if you're looking for tweaking options and don't like a "closed" system. Or jailbreak and customize to your heart's content.