iOS Reset and Erase All Settings - Total System Wipe?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Tucom, May 12, 2015.

1. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

If there was any kind of malware or malicious code/virus on my iOS device, would the Reset and Erase All Settings take care of it? Nothing was really done at all to make me think there would be any such kind of thing on my iPad (4th gen), however I went to a super old e-mail that that had spam etc. in it (done with that e-mail permanently now), so just incase that was an issue, would that get rid of any kind of malicious code?

2. jonblatho, May 12, 2015
    Last edited: May 12, 2015

jonblatho macrumors 6502

jonblatho

Mail messages can't execute code, malicious or otherwise, on iOS, and there are no exploits relating to Mail at this time (as far as I know). Your device is fine.

That said, if wiping your iPad would make you feel better, go for it…but it's not necessary.

3. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

If you really want to completely wipe, just DFU it. I've done it on my 6 Plus just cuz, I used the instruction here:
    https://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/DFU_Mode

4. Tucom thread starter macrumors 65816

Tucom

That's good to know, but doesn't answer my main question. Good info though, thanks.

Anyways, I probably should have mentioned that it was via Safari with Yahoo.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

It doesn't really matter if it was with Safari or another app and what site/service might be in question. As long as it was within iOS (that isn't jailbroken) nothing really would happen.

6. crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

It probably wouldn't. A reset and erase all contents doesn't wipe the hard drive so that theoretical virus/malware would most likely still be there after.

A iTunes restore wipes the hard drive completely and downloads/installs iOS from scratch which almost certainly would get rid of it.

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

8. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

9. Tucom thread starter macrumors 65816

Tucom

Well the post right below yours states the opposite, but either way the others have said that there's really no worry about having got a virus/malware in the first place, which I guess was really my main concern.

And what you say makes sense, but then the other post says otherwise. Curious which one is right? Either way thanks for the info.

----------

Yeah, that's the one. You sure? The other guy says that wouldn't be the case, but either way I don't think I got anything malware in the first place, I hope!

10. crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

An erase all settings and content doesn't not format the HD. How would it than install iOS again?
    The only way to 100% reset your phone is a DFU on iTunes. I'm pretty sure I'm right and the other guy is wrong. Feel free to clear me up

11. striders macrumors 6502

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the iPhone storage is encrypted and when you do "Erase all contents and settings", the data is wiped though not securely (not wiping it with 1's and 0's multiple times). However, the key to encrypt the data is also deleted and without it, you cannot get the wiped data back.

12. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

You are mostly correct. The data is not wiped at all unless the device does not support hardware encryption.

Understanding Erase all Content and Settings

13. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

From the Sept. 2014 Security Guide --

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/1302613/ios-security-guide-sept-2014.pdf