General iOS restore from backup and app versions

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by nightstalkerz, May 16, 2013.

1. nightstalkerz macrumors 6502

I have a couple apps on my phone which has updates available but I don't want to update them.

If I backup my phone via iTunes/iCloud and restore it, for the apps which have updates, will they be updated or will they stay on the old version?

2. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure. Which apps do you not want to update and why?

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

An iTunes backup will use the versions currently in iTunes on your computer.
    For an iCloud backup, it might install the newer versions.

Depending on how many apps you want to preserve, you could always remove them from the device and do a backup/sync - then after the restore, reinstall them using iTunes.

4. nightstalkerz thread starter macrumors 6502

It's mainly a few games and some apps because don't like whats in the updates.

----------

So if I use iTunes to perform a backup, it would take the apps and data from my phone as well? Or would this only happen if I used iTunes to download the apps?

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

iTunes will/can only install/reinstall the versions that have been download to it.

You should be doing regular backups to either iTunes or iCloud (I prefer iTunes, more user control)

6. nightstalkerz thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks.

I keep the iCloud backup on but I've started doing backups on iTunes whenever a new version of iOS comes out.

I don't use iTunes for anything except for backing up.

7. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

I recently discovered this when I restored my new iPhone from a backup, and then had 40 updates (which I had already downloaded pre-backup). You need to update the apps on iTunes, or transfer the purchases across to update them, otherwise it will restore the version of the app you currently have in iTunes.