iOS Safari scrolling in iFrame - please help!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by matthewHUB, Oct 5, 2011.

1. matthewHUB macrumors 6502

Hi everyone.

I can't get to the bottom of why my iFrame won't scroll on iOS devices. It seemed to have been working before, and now not.

I can't find any threads with a definitive answer.. They only seem to say there's a problem.

Link: http://www.matthewhuber.co.uk/Schedule.html

Thanks.

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

You have to two-finger scroll frames in Safari on iOS devices.

3. matthewHUB thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you Darth.Titan. This is exactly the response i was expecting, as it's what all the other posts say. Have you tried it on the link i posted. IT DOESN'T WORK!

Perhaps there's something wring with the "overflow" syntax. Any thoughts?

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Well screaming about it isn't very productive. If you were "expecting" that response, you should have mentioned that fact in the OP. A lot of people forget about 2 finger scrolling, and I thought it would be the most helpful suggestion. Excuse the hell out of me.

That being said, I've noticed that it scrolls just fine when viewing the site in landscape mode on my iPhone, just not in portrait mode. You also seem to be using quite a bit of absolute positioning and negative margins. The layout of this page just doesn't seem to be complex enough to require such hacks. Your code also doesn't validate.

I'm just throwing out observances at random here... not 100% sure any of it's relevant to your issue.

5. matthewHUB thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Darth.Titan. I didn't mean to scream! Thanks for your astute observances -- scrolling doesn't work in either orientation on the iPad though. I'll take a look into the positioning and validation, although i don't know why scrolling would have just stopped working a couple of weeks ago...

Regarding the overflow attribute -- does scrolling on iOS depend on any value specifically? Thanks again.

6. matthewHUB, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011

matthewHUB thread starter macrumors 6502

I've now fixed the validation, except one error in the code which Facebook supplied "allowtransparency=true" which I guess I'll leave.

I'm using the negative margin to center the content after defining the width and then left: -50%width. Is there a better way? I thought <center> was depricated and this was a "better" way.

7. jtara macrumors 65816

How about just getting rid of your iFrame?

Take a look at iscroll.

8. matthewHUB thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks jtara. I'll look into it. It's unfortunate that they don't work.. What with being a big part of html5. I'm still trying to get the bottom of it nonetheless and there're plenty of other sites that use them..