iOS search engine not working

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by MacManX, Mar 21, 2015.

1. MacManX macrumors member

I have a strange problem on my iPhone 6. When typing something in the address bar in Safari there would normally be suggestions showing up under "Google-search". Not so on my iPhone 6 since upgrading to iOS 8 (now running iOS 8.2). On my iPhone 5 it works like a charm (also running iOS 8.2).

What's going on? Suggestions, anyone?

Changing to another search engine or re-starting Safari does not help. Neither does re-booting the iPhone.

Not a major problem, but rather annoying! :cool:

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Have you checked Settings > Safari > Search Engine Settings to make sure that's enabled? Also, does this happen both on WiFi and cellular?

3. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I'm experiencing the same thing. I've never had them show up. even on iOS 7....

4. EdgardasB macrumors 6502a

EdgardasB

Maybe you have turned off suggestion on google search side? :) Futhermore, if you have slow internet it could be not showing either.

5. MacManX thread starter macrumors member

Settings on the iPhone 5 and the iPhone 6 are identical. I can have them side by side and the 5 works, but the 6 doesn't.

Suggestions are enabled and it does not matter if I use 4G/GPRS or WiFi. I am on a 100 Mbit/s fibre connection at home and at work we have 250 Mbit/s, so it's definitely not the connection speed.

It doesn't matter if I use Google or any of the other search engines.

6. MacManX thread starter macrumors member

7. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

Did you try disabling, then re-enabling search engine suggestions under safari settings?

8. MacManX thread starter macrumors member

I have tried that multiple times - to no avail. Still not working...

9. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

I know this may sound like a dumb question and I’m sure you’ve already thought of it...but you’re not using Private Browsing are you?