Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Does Apple continue to provide security updates to older iOS versions?

So, if I don't shift to iOS 13 later this year, can I continue with iOS 12 for the next few years, but still have a fully secure device?

What exactly does one lose out by not upgrading to the latest version of iOS?

Thanks

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
You won’t get any updates, security or not, after a later version of iOS that your device is supported is released. You can keep using it, but your device will be less secure from that point on.
To be fair, Apple did release a security update for a super critical one a couple of years ago for iOS all the way down to iOS 6. But, obviously, nobody should count on that.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The importance of security updates are a bit overblown here on this site. Everyone is just parroting everyone else until it has become a meme.
To put things in perspective, there's never been a critical (harmful) security incident on any version of iOS ever. Never. And that includes people running ancient versions of iOS to this day.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
The importance of security updates are a bit overblown here on this site. Everyone is just parroting everyone else until it has become a meme.
To put things in perspective, there's never been a critical (harmful) security incident on any version of iOS ever. Never. And that includes people running ancient versions of iOS to this day.
Except for one that is SSL related. Apple released security update for iOS 6 after it was discontinued.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_6#6.1.6

Reactions: now i see it

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Basicallly, that means I'll have to shift iOS 13 and subsequent versions if I don't want to take chances.

The thing is 11 was buggy and 12 works really well, and it's been designed to do so. Unless, there is a specific reason to shift I'd rather stick to 12 for the next few years.

I've also been seeing rumours about support being dropped for any phone that came before iPhone 7. With 12 Apple made extra efforts to make older phones work well on the newer OS versions. Should one assume that the same will be true of subsequent versions of iOS?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I've also been seeing rumours about support being dropped for any phone that came before iPhone 7. With 12 Apple made extra efforts to make older phones work well on the newer OS versions. Should one assume that the same will be true of subsequent versions of iOS?
No real assumptions can be made one way or another really, it will basically come down on seeing how it all is as it happens basically.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
We do know and Tim has said publicly, that people not upgrading their phones is hurting Apple's bottom line. So they don't have a lot of incentive keeping old iPhones running on new versions of iOS. One of the primary reasons there's a new iOS version released each year is to push older iPhones slowly towards obsolescence. Slowly but surely.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
We do know and Tim has said publicly, that people not upgrading their phones is hurting Apple's bottom line. So they don't have a lot of incentive keeping old iPhones running on new versions of iOS. One of the primary reasons there's a new iOS version released each year is to push older iPhones slowly towards obsolescence. Slowly but surely.
And yet iOS 12 has done essentially the opposite of that.

Reactions: digitalexplr

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
And yet iOS 12 has done essentially the opposite of that.
Right. But, the big question is if this is going to be a regular feature of future iOS upgrades, or was it a one-off?

Possibly the latter because Apple wanted to recover brand value after "battery-gate"?

And with iOS 13 on, it may be back to business as usual, with older phones slowing down significantly with each upgrade?

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
That ruins their strategy of planned obsolescence which is why they don’t do it. If you want security updates for older Android versions check out Google Pixel.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Right. But, the big question is if this is going to be a regular feature of future iOS upgrades, or was it a one-off?

Possibly the latter because Apple wanted to recover brand value after "battery-gate"?

And with iOS 13 on, it may be back to business as usual, with older phones slowing down significantly with each upgrade?
That might be a question, but that's separate/different from the other context of it being in relation to some ongoing malicious conspiracy of some sort. Sure, as far as possibilities go, pretty much anything can be conveniently be spun up to still keep something within the realm of a conspiracy, but that itself shows how much of a theory it is rather than anything else that's a given, let alone something that is actually proven (given that that's the level that it's often taken to by various people).

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
That might be a question, but that's separate/different from the other context of it being in relation to some ongoing malicious conspiracy of some sort. Sure, as far as possibilities go, pretty much anything can be conveniently be spun up to still keep something within the realm of a conspiracy, but that itself shows how much of a theory it is rather than anything else that's a given, let alone something that is actually proven (given that that's the level that it's often taken to by various people).
And, nothing will even be given by Apple officially regarding this planned obsolescence. Therefore, conspiracy theory is pretty much the best thing user have.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
And, nothing will even be given by Apple officially regarding this planned obsolescence. Therefore, conspiracy theory is pretty much the best thing user have.
Not sure about best, just a thing, sure. But, again, not a given, and certainly not even in the vicinity of something that's proven/confirmed somehow.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Does Apple continue to provide security updates to older iOS versions?

So, if I don't shift to iOS 13 later this year, can I continue with iOS 12 for the next few years, but still have a fully secure device?

What exactly does one lose out by not upgrading to the latest version of iOS?

Thanks
Short answer, no.

Imo, if you have an iDevice with at least 2GB of RAM, you’ll be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.