iOS sharing and communication without internet

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by robgendreau, Jun 24, 2013.

1. robgendreau macrumors 68030

So say the zombie apocalypse has happened, and you and your pals are hiding in a bunker, away from ObamaNSASkyNet and GoogBookPle drones and spybots. You all have iPhones and iPads, and some Android devices, and a wifi router. But no internet. And maybe not even the router.

Your mobile devices all have bluetooth, and they all have cellular and wifi radios. You don't wanna use something that reaches as far as cell, but you want something that reaches farther than BT. So wifi is perfect.

What can you do to facilitate the following, either through the router or peer-to-peer:

File sharing

Voice communication

Email, or messaging

Streaming media

I am aware of some apps that facilitate some of this. For examples, with Rogue Amoeba's Speakers I can stream audio from one iOS device to another. There are some camera apps that can use another iOS device as a camera. Or TriggerTrap, which you can use with one device to trigger a camera shutter attached to a second device. I would expect there are some gaming apps that also work over a LAN without internet.

I was surprised to find that many of my existing apps that shared didn't share once I lost an internet connection, even though I had a LAN. And it doesn't seem like it's even possible to do much sharing in iOS P2P, except a few BT apps.

So what's out there?

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

File sharing
    You can get Photosync, allows bluetooth photo sharing between iOS.

Voice communication
    In wifi/bluetooth range? Use your voice.

Email, or messaging
    Talk to the person.
    Also, there would be no DNS, or Email servers to send email up to, and receive back from.

Streaming media
    In BT/WIFI range? Walk over, and put your iOS device in your friends face and they can see it streamed off the LCD.

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

You might be able to do some of that and a lot more with a router and a Synology device, voice being the obvious omission.

http://goo.gl/ThM8s