IOS Simulator slow to update UI components

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by gtenrreiro, Oct 23, 2012.

1. gtenrreiro macrumors newbie

Hi,

We are testing a simple app where a few labels and a UIProgressView is updated using a delay.

The delay is 3 seconds and then it calls itself again; however the IOS simulator does not always update the label, it does update sometimes but it takes a long time in between ( much long than 3 seconds ):

label.text = @"Some text";

We have a NSLog call where the update happens, and the NSLog fires just fine, exactly every 3 senconds, but the labels and ProgressView go unchanged until later.

Does anyone know what is going on ?

THanks

2. CodeBreaker macrumors 6502

Are you updating the labels on the main thread?

Also, it is a simulator, and accurate timing is not guaranteed on it (it will never be accurate even on the iOS device).

3. gtenrreiro thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think they are being updated on the main thread, because the update happens as the consequence of a:

[NSURLConnection sendAsynchronousRequest...

to which a block of code is attached that gets executed when the request succeeds; so since it is asynchronous the code being execute must be running in its own thread. The block being executed however does fire exactly every 3 seconds, it is just UI components that act as if the code didn't execute at that time.

I understand it is a simulator, and that it is not real time, but the difference between the changes to the UI components and the when they actually occur is huge, sometimes 5 seconds sometimes more.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks

4. CodeBreaker macrumors 6502

You should update UI elements only in the main thread. UIKit is not thread safe.

5. gtenrreiro thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, OK I resolved the issue by instead of creating a new queue:

NSOperationQueue* queue = [[NSOperationQueue alloc] init];

getting a reference to the main queue which runs in the main thread:

NSOperationQueue* queue = [NSOperationQueue mainQueue];

Not sure if this is the correct approach but it seems to work now.

Thanks