iPhone iOS Software Update never loads

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by aforty, Feb 26, 2013.

1. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Hi,
    I don't know if it's jailbreak related but I am jailbroken so I thought I'd check here first.

The software update (Settings.app --> General --> Software Update) never loads, it always just spins on Checking for Update. I had to plug into iTunes to update from 6.0 to 6.1.2 last night and now it still doesn't work. So it didn't work on 6.0 and it doesn't work now on 6.1.2. Nothing else seems affected in the system, AppStore, iCloud, etc all appear to work fine.
    This happens on Wifi, LTE, 3G, you name it.

I've tried resetting my networking setting in Settings.app --> General --> Reset --> Reset Network Settings.

Any ideas?

2. Adutrumque macrumors 65816

Adutrumque

I have a gnome whispering to my ear telling me they disabled that option just for security precaution. So, you wouldn't tap that thingy by mistake.

If you wanna update your iOS software I suggest you do this via iTunes. As OTA updates tend to carry problems.

3. aforty thread starter macrumors 65816

aforty

You know... I thought I remembered seeing that somewhere too but when I went to verify last night I couldn't find anything about it.

Anyone know for a fact?

4. JazzG macrumors member

My one doesn't work either and I believe it has been disabled. Reason being if you accidentally update OTA and you have jailbroken your iPhone you'll basically mess up your phone and need to to restore via iTunes. As a friend of mine learned the hard way when he tried to update his 5.1 to 6.1, also taught him the importance of backing up your phone....

5. JPNFRK7 macrumors 6502

JPNFRK7

That is exactly what they did. They don't want people to hit the button and throw their phone into a whole slew of problems. Always make sure to Restore your phone to new and update, that way you will always be jailbreaking a clean ios version.

6. aforty thread starter macrumors 65816

aforty

Ok good to know I'm not going crazy. Thanks all!

7. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

You that was intentionally done in one of the evasion updates...I think it was 1.2 or 1.3. To restore your device, use iTunes. Let us know if you have any questions or problems!

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    You cannot do an OTA update on a jb device even if you could go in and attempt it. It would just error out so the devs trying to protect you from yourself disabled it on purpose.
    You can only do a full restore with iTunes on a jb phone. No OTA and no update with iTunes either. That will get you stuck at the apple logo.
    Just restore.

9. dextr3k macrumors 6502

evasi0n untether update 0.3 had a line in it specifically saying they disabled the OTA daemon or something, so that you would not be able to update it OTA