Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
I am one and I think there are many who would want to see a major design shift in iOS beginning with Springboard, aka the grid of icons that is our iPhone home screen. For the first few iOS iterations, Springboard was fine because we only had so many apps. Like a lot of users, I have over 200 apps on my phone. Many many many of them are commerce related, some financial, etc.

Wallet:
So before getting into Springboard itself, I think one massive major improvement could be for all apps that are commerce related to have an option to move the app to the Wallet app. Then when you launch wallet, it has a Music app like tabs at the bottom: Apps, Cards, Passes. When you tap on Apps, you get a home screen within Wallet that is all your commerce apps (that you have opted into Wallet) and you can see them in one long scrollable home screen OR by category. I don't think folders would be necessary here. Categories like folders you might already have like Food, Shopping, Travel, Banking, etc.

Home:
If you did the same thing with the home app and either removed Rooms or added another tab at the bottom, you could access all the apps for home automation, such as door locks, camera systems, security systems, lighting apps, fridge and oven control apps, etc.

Apple TV:
Likewise you could add a tab in Apple TV for all your other media apps, Netflix, HBO GO, Prime Video, Hulu, etc. The app becomes the center for the other apps.

Yes you can opt to keep an app out of the app that gathers them, if you truly want that immediate of access to Netflix and don't want the additional taps, but really the Apple TV, Home, and Wallet app become folders if you will for a cleaner integration. Especially the wallet app with so many food and other shopping type apps you probably use rather infrequently but have cluttering up your phone. And you can still use Spotlight to quickly search for an app or call it up in the app switcher if it was used recently (which btw really does need a grid instead of the overlay style).

Also a long/haptic press of Wallet, Home, or Apple TV would go bring up the shortcut to go directly into the app section of that hub.

App Centers:
As for Springboard, I think that Springboard could be revamped in a similar (which is what gave me those ideas) way in which Apple used a clear and clean home screen. And that is something I would call App Centers. Instead of folders, and I don't know the best way to implement this, you would have App Centers. Those would be like a folder but have an icon instead of a folder style or possibly just the word. When you tap on the word or icon or whatever it is, you go into a Home Screen of that App Center. Instead of folders, everything in a folder is a Home Screen. You could have just a wallpaper on your home screen with the dock. In the dock are Wallet, Home, Apple TV, and a communications app center. Slide to the left from the right edge of the screen pulls in your list of App Centers, you name them. Office, Sports, Active, Games, etc. If the list is long, you slide up or down to reveal the extras just like additional home screens would be. Tap on the one you want and it takes you to just those apps. The rest of the time, your phone is clean. Put the app center you use the most at the bottom of the list for easiest access. Or put it in the dock in place of one of the presets.

Might not be perfect, but I would love to see something more than a grid of folders with 9 icons visible per folder like a repeating image. I feel that app management is the albatross of an otherwise fairly mature mobile OS and that a fairly large leap forward for Springboard is what is needed.

Oh, and of course each app center can have its own wallpaper.

The next wave of innovation will be the AI front, when the phone begins to do more for you by prediction and anticipation.

Last edited:
Reactions: iFanaddic

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
I wish there were some visuals of these concepts.
Unfortunately not something I can easily do. I’m not an animator.
What I can say is that I’m not suggesting that the grid of icons Laid out as a home screen is abandoned. Rather that the way the home screen or instead screens is organized is changed. By putting them into some default apps and into these app centers, you provide a better system for getting to them. Many people search for the apps or launch via Siri. But laying them out on the home screen. Putting them in folders. Trying to determine what is most used and leaving those on page one, etc. I think that needs to be rethought.

iFanaddic

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
  1. Push icons to page 2
  2. Redesign notifications center and merge it with widgets page
  3. Make it a home screen
  4. Have the media showing up change base on location, time of day etc
  5. Make it vertically and horizontally scrollable like apple tv
  6. Put siri out of our misery and give us something worth calling a personal assistant
Think about the siri watchface on the apple watch, ported as your home screen on iPhone.

I always thought media should take you to apps and not the other way around.

F0F4C5D2-0C32-4610-B642-3AEABA8775C5.png

Last edited:

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Hasn't this already been leaked as a good possibility? Widgets moving partially to the home screen in combination with most used apps? It was a main story on MacRumors if I remember correctly.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
  1. Push icons to page 2
  2. Redesign notifications center and merge it with widgets page
  3. Make it a home screen
  4. Have the media showing up change base on location, time of day etc
  5. Make it vertically and horizontally scrollable like apple tv
  6. Put siri out of our misery and give us something worth calling a personal assistant
Think about the siri watchface on the apple watch, ported as your home screen on iPhone.

I always thought media should take you to apps and not the other way around.

View attachment 917512

Point 5 will only work, if implemented with a limited number of apps like on WatchOS currently as you've attached to show. Give some 50 apps or more as many iOS users have, the ease of use begins to fail. Accessibility for navigation begins to fail too. Sure you could ask Siri ... yet some users with accessibility needs may be limited with memory loss, as do the average person that recognizes an App via visuals. In the latter, what I'm meaning to say is some people will recall an app to use by it's visual icon before they know to launch it. With a limited scrollable list or an seemingly endless list negates that visual recall that so many of us use daily.

Here is a test. If you have over 50 apps ... name 15 of THE least used apps, apps you may not have used in over 7days and that do not have a widget to display information or an interactive widget and name those apps eyes closed and screen off.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
The problem with your idea is that it assumes that the only way people use those apps is for making a purchase/controlling their hardware/watching a tv show+movie. It adds too many steps for someone who wants to see the latest Starbucks card member deal, make a profile for their lights, add a movie to their watch later list, and whatever else. It's also making Apple's brand a part of everything, like you're always going to have Apple TV in your mind when you're watching Netflix. That's not a good look.

But yeah, agree with you on the folders being too small.

Last edited:

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
The problem with your idea is that it assumes that the only way people use those apps is for making a purchase/controlling their hardware/watching a tv show+movie. It adds too many steps for someone who wants to see the latest Starbucks card member deal, make a profile for their lights, add a movie to their watch later list, and whatever else. It's also making Apple's brand a part of everything, like you're always going to have Apple TV in your mind when you're watching Netflix. That's not a good look.

I hate folders. Visually. And implementation. I don’t think they work all that well. Do I use all the apps I have. No many go a long time without use. Many I could remove from my phone but I do find I use a lot of them. There are 264 on my phone currently. Users I know who don’t have that many still have 100+ easily. Many people do. The current paradigm was t designed for that level. I don’t want to scroll through 4 or 5 pages of apps. Or have folders run 9 at a time 4 swipes deep. It’s not convenient to say Hey Siri Launch ....... in many situations. Should I pull, then type a few letters to search and then launch all my apps that way. The flip your book too fast cover flow style app switcher is horrid. Needs to be an iPad style grid that you push up, not over.

Reactions: Jessica Lares

uniquexoxo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2018
South East Asia

Ditto. I don't even know anyone who uses Home where I'm from lol, and we're a huge iOS/MacOS/iPadOS users. And Apple TV is only used because of the free 1 year. I doubt anyone would renew it lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.