Ios stuck 3.1.3 bc osx 10.4

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by stevess, Apr 5, 2011.

1. stevess, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011

stevess macrumors newbie

So here's what I have:
    OS X 10.4
    itunes 9.1
    Jailbroken Iphone 3gs (new bootrom)
    iOS 3.1.3

I'd like to upgrade to iOS 4 but apple doesn't sign older versions and I can't upgrade iTunes without buying an OS X upgrade.

First question, what options do I have?

Second, I'm looking for any links to guides to support me carrying out said options from question 1.

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

You need to check whether your Iphone has SHSH blobs saved with Cydia or Tiny Umbrella.

If it does, then you will be able to upgrade firmware on your Iphone to any firmware version that it has saved.

If it does not, then you still be able to upgrade firmware on your iphone to the latest one while preserving the baseband. However, you need to do this using Pwnage tool or sn0wbreeze.

3. britboyj macrumors 6502a

Unless you have a mission critical app that requires 10.4 and refuses to work properly under 10.5 or 10.6 (10.6 is possible, but 10.5 is likely fine since it still supports PPC based processes and full binaries) you should upgrade. It really is a nice upgrade, and totally worth it.

4. stevess thread starter macrumors newbie

britboyj - I should upgrade, I just don't want to do everything right now. (All I want is MLB at bat to work at the moment.)

Crystal-RX

So I do have my blobs saved... I've just never had to use them before.
    Cydia says "iOS 4.2.1+,4.3"

I'm not familiar with all the details of how the SHSH blobs are created, but this means I have the 4.2.1 SHSH saved even though I've never installed the software correct? Also, on cydia is 4.2.1+ shorthand for everything previous as well? Just curious.

So next step...

I can download IPSW 4.2.1. To install it as a custom firmware do I use Tiny umbrella? Or is there another/better app that will use the SHSH stored in Cydia?

Finally, will I need to backup anything/re-jb my phone after upgrading?

5. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Once you hit "make my life easier" in cydia, it automatically shsh blobs for your phone including all future firmwares that Apple comes out and you will be able to upgrade to that firmware by using customs firmware made by pwnage tool.

Following is the link on how to make customs firmware using pwnage for your use;

http://modmyi.com/forums/pwnage/746876-how-use-pwnage-tool-make-custom-firmware.html

6. stevess, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011

stevess thread starter macrumors newbie