Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iOS Text Bug Also Affects Twitter, Snapchat, WhatsApp and Other Apps

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The iOS bug that was discovered earlier in the week and causes an iPhone to crash after receiving a specific string of symbols and characters, today expanded to both the Twitter and Snapchat iOS apps (via The Guardian). The bug not only crashes an iPhone, but causes the Messages app to repeatedly crash after being opened to anything other than the conversation in which the string of characters was located in.

Although the issue was known to be routed in banner notifications when it was discovered, thus opening a wide range of apps that could be hit by the malicious text, today's news confirms that third-party apps can successfully transfer the bug. In Twitter, any direct message or public mention that includes the string of characters will cause a recipient's phone, with notifications turned on for Twitter, to crash immediately. A similar situation occurs when sending text chat via the Snapchat app, permanently crashing an iPhone when the user goes to read the message.

As noted in the original story, and just last night confirmed by Apple, a temporary fix for the bug remains in place in which a user can use Siri to reply to the malicious message thread in order to prevent Messages from crashing every time it is opened. The company promises that they "will make a fix available in a software update," but a time frame for any such fix wasn't given. Given that third-party apps are now becoming affected without as clear of an easy fix, Apple will probably try to put that update out as soon as possible before more permanent damage befalls any users.

Article Link: iOS Text Bug Also Affects Twitter, Snapchat, WhatsApp and Other Apps

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
this is annoying and somewhat bad ... but not as bad as all the media hype around it. 99.9999% of the people would normally not type that text and the big hype will hopefully be over in a few days - if fixed or not, it is not a super urgent problem.

(it is really annoying for school kids - in my sons High School some of the android users are constantly sending this text to all the iPhone users - but he has blocked most the idiots by now)

Comment

Futurix

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2011
London
This is a bit disturbing - this means that the issue is with Apple's Unicode parsing and may pop-up anywhere on iOS... hopefully they will not just fix that particular character sequence but review the whole parser :eek:

Comment

odditie

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
This has to be the most childish bug ever. Basically it is the online equivalent of a shot to the family jewels.

Comment

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
But, but..I buy Apple for the premium user experience. I was told by the millions of blind followers that the extra money I was paying for my Apple product was for that Premium User experience. You know, unlike the lag, bug, malware ridden issues from that "OTHER" OS.
Oh, I know what I'll do, I'll patiently wait for a fix like I do for all the other issues that have effected millions of iOS users, then forget this even happened. That way I can go back to believing in paying extra for inferior hardware because I'm enjoying a PREMIUM USER EXPERIENCE. Excuse me now while I order my drink. Bartender, I'll take a cherry Kool Aid with my beer.

Comment

Mad Man

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2011
I actually see that as a feature. Whenever I want to get my daughters attention (while she is on Facebook or any other mobile site/app not listening to her surroundings) I just send her that text. This gives me a few seconds until the phone has rebooted to talk to her :)

Comment

neuropsychguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2008
"before more permanent damage befalls any users".

Is there any indication that this bug leads to "more permanent damage"? It looks like an annoyance for a minute proportion of iOS users. The MacRumors write-up makes it sound like it could lead to life-threatening injuries (i.e., "permanent damage"). Yellow journalism much?

Comment

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Is this really permanent damaging the phone in the sense that it bricks the phone or is it just going to prevent me from opening snapchat and Twitter?

Comment

Waxhead138

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
But, but..I buy Apple for the premium user experience. I was told by the millions of blind followers that the extra money I was paying for my Apple product was for that Premium User experience. You know, unlike the lag, bug, malware ridden issues from that "OTHER" OS.
Oh, I know what I'll do, I'll patiently wait for a fix like I do for all the other issues that have effected millions of iOS users, then forget this even happened. That way I can go back to believing in paying extra for inferior hardware because I'm enjoying a PREMIUM USER EXPERIENCE. Excuse me now while I order my drink. Bartender, I'll take a cherry Kool Aid with my beer.

Wow....while you're at it, with your Cherry Kool Aid and Beer, get a chaser of Life has stomped me and I'm super Bitter. Might take the edge off your kool aid.

Comment

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Wow....while you're at it, with your Cherry Kool Aid and Beer, get a chaser of Life has stomped me and I'm super Bitter. Might take the edge off your kool aid.

Sounds like that tall glass of Truth Hurts you just drank didn't go down too well.

Comment

oddnendz

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2007
Raleigh, NC

Hey, at least you don't have to wait for your carrier to also bless the update.... at least with Apple, Apple will fix and push it to your phone.... not push it to the carriers... wait forever and day for the carriers to make sure the updated fix doesn't break their precious bloatware and that is if the carriers think you are worthy of the update....

so sit down, drink your Kool-Aid (beer is now mine, btw)....

Comment

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Sounds like that tall glass of Truth Hurts you just drank didn't go down too well.

hey Sevan. is that a name or your misspelled age? bugs happen in every OS under the sun. fallacies don't fix anything. enjoy your phone, whatever it is. almost all phones out there are spectacular. you could've been alive for the 80s, and that woulda REALLY sucked for you (apparently). everything was pixelated and phones were attached to the wall(!) feel lucky.

Comment

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA

I'm sorry this bug has ruined your week and made you feel like a pathetic loser.

Comment

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Someone appears to have declared jihad on the iPhone.

i know right? when i first saw it i figured the worst lol... and i try and avoid pop-culture news media - looks like they still have a pretty good effect on me :mad:

Comment

fallenjt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2013
You ain't own any idevice, just an Android troll or in the wrong forum. Go back to your Android hole!

Comment

ouimetnick

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts

I don't think most Apple fans are blind. iOS and Mac OS X are more secure than their competition. That being said, iOS and Mac OS X are not perfect. Yes this is a strange bug, and rather small in my opinion. It's only a big dead because one it gained popularity, people copied and pasted it, and sent it to their friends messing up their iOS devices. I sent it, and I've received it. But it's quickly passed. It got old pretty quick.

Comment

gadgetguy03

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012
One of my friends tried texting this to me but it didn't work because he's an idiot. My Messages app was slow for a while after receiving it but I was able to delete the message and everything is great now.

Comment

SpasticPat

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I like how people are attacking Apple for this. Yes I'm an Apple fan but I'm not blinded that i expect anything from Apple or any other tech company to be perfect. So quit whining "ermagherd I paid dis much for ifone and it has a bug." It doesn't matter what company it is, what hardware or software, there will always be bugs and glitches. Whining about it in a forum isn't going to do anything, Apple says they have a fix coming, they'll fix it.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.