iOS Texting (Not iMessage) better than Android?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by widgeteer, Aug 17, 2016.

1. widgeteer macrumors 65816

This isn't meant to be a "flame thread". I've noticed something on my iPhone 6S Plus vs my Galaxy S7 Edge (I'm with VZW for both).

Using iOS's native texting app (NOT iMessage. These are text messages to other phone numbers) I'm able to attach as many gifs to a conversation as I want. On the GS7E, after posting 3 or 4 I get a message that I'm unable to add anymore because the thread has reached it's limit.

Any ideas what would account for that? Does Apple's texting app do something different with the gif? I would have guessed it automatically resizes for sharing but Sammy's phones have been doing that since the last generation or two.

2. kevinof macrumors 6502a

If you are attaching gifs then youre not sending an sms. You must be sending an MMS message right?

Not sure why the Samsung would be applying limits- Don't use MMS except maby 6 or 7 years ago!

3. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Doesn't matter what the UI allows. What matters is how they are received. Is it received as one whole text or multiple?

4. frankgrimes macrumors 6502a

frankgrimes

Like someone said if you are sending pictures it's automatically an MMS which is still pricey but very! delivery firm.

I would suggest trying out a different app like ChompSMS, Textra and install a mod to increase that limit. Guess you'll need to have root access

5. widgeteer thread starter macrumors 65816

Sorry - yes, i meant MMS. I just don't get why one OS would instill limit.

6. L_Virtue macrumors newbie

Are you also using the Messenger that Verizon installs, or using the actual Samsung Messenger? Another alternative is to download the native Google Messenger client from Play Store.

Most clients limit the total amount of MB you can send also. Textra has the option to change those from 1MB, to 2MB, to no limit.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

The limits might be more on the carrier side and how they divide things up between messages--where some clients might account for those limits, while others might not.

8. widgeteer thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm using Sammy IM.

9. jamezr Suspended

jamezr

I never have a problem with texting from Android to IOS and back the other way. I switch between my Android phones and my 6s+ all the time. If I am going to send multiple pictures or movies to family....i put them on a shared folder on Dropbox and let people have access to the folder. So much easier this way. I have a shared folder on Dropbox for all my friends and family to see. Then there is always Facebook.

10. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

They're both fine. There's really not much more to say about it. They're just fine. SMS is so lame.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

Lame? o_O

12. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

sometimes necessary... my sister/dad doesnt use any messaging apps, only sms...

and how would you send a msg if there are no cellular data available?