Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iCorz87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2019
Sydney,Australia
Forgive the stupid questions but hoping for some help from someone more in tune with Android than myself.

I’m contemplating jumping ship. Have owned iPhones since the 3GS but have used the S6 edge and the S10.

I’m well into the Apple ecosystem but want to know what difficulties I would have if I was to swap out my phone and watch for Samsung variants, but kept iPad and MacBook Air?

There has forever been the argument of iOS vs Android and most people say with Android there is so much customisation, but after you set your theme, ring tone, Home Screen and what not what makes Android a better user experience?

I have been playing with my wife’s galaxy A51 and it doesn’t seem like I’d miss anything straight off the bat from my usage of my iPhone. While iMessage is great, I don’t know that I’d go crazy if I didn’t have it.

As for the watch, the extra features are handy but I don’t really use it for anymore than receiving messages and making in store payments when I don’t have my wallet.

Apologies for the long post. Any comments appreciated

The_Interloper

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
The Apple Watch is better than pretty much any other smart watch on the market in terms of app availability and quality; however, if all you are going to use it for is notifications and payments then you will probably be more than happy with a different device.

Although you will lose iMessage, you can use Android Messages on your iPad and MacBook Air via Messages for Web.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I’m well into the Apple ecosystem but want to know what difficulties I would have if I was to swap out my phone and watch for Samsung variants, but kept iPad and MacBook Air?
I have the Fold2 along with the iPP and Google services is pretty much my way of making them work cohesively. I use Google Keep as far as keeping Notes synced between Android and my iPP. Obviously, there's OneNote... but I feel Google Keep is more lightweight and similar to Notes App for my iPad.

I use Google Drive as far moving files or photos between the two. It's very quick and reliable. I could use Google Photos, but I'm paying for iCloud storage and I rather have my photos with iCloud. And similar to OneNote... there's OneDrive or Dropbox. But I've been satisfied with the performance of Google Drive. But that's pretty much the only difficulty, determining how to move files or photos between the two.

There has forever been the argument of iOS vs Android and most people say with Android there is so much customisation, but after you set your theme, ring tone, Home Screen and what not what makes Android a better user experience?
It's more to Android than just customization, although... that's the glaring differences between iOS vs Android. But the file management is superior, well.. if you are into those kind of things. There's the ability to multi-task, something that's missing from iOS. And once you get into Good Lock... the sky is the limit.

I'm a fan of Sound Assistant, the ability to have multiple audio streams going on at once.... something not found on iOS. Along with file management being superior, I would like to add Notifications Center as well and with Android 11... Google has widen the gap. And this is going off my personal experience.

Reactions: iCorz87

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
You can get iMessage on iPad and Mac but not on the phone which kinda makes little sense. The texts won’t on the phone unless you turn off iMessage.

You will get cheaper program compared to iOS equivalent. For example it’s tons of free spam blockers on android that work really well and don’t cost a dime compared to iOS where nothing is really free and even if it is the permissions is much harder to give the program total access like you can on iOS.

If you decide to jump back to droid make sure you get something with at least 8 gigs of ram don’t settle for any less if you plan to keep for years.

EastHillWill

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2020
Boise, ID
As someone who always has an Android device on hand, since you’re still using other Apple products the biggest annoyance for you (definitely for me) may be the lack of Handoff and Continuity with Apple services: Safari, Notes, Reminders, etc. Maybe you don’t use these apps, and of course there are great cross-platform solutions available. You addressed iMessage. I also use AirDrop all the time with my wife, so losing that would be tough, but again there are solutions. A lot of third party apps are just better on Apple platforms. Of course that’s subjective, but when I use my Pixel I’m always struck by how inferior many of the apps are. They’re not terrible, but different in ways that I generally find worse. If you’re okay with these possible issues then give it a shot! It’s easy enough to swap SIMs. The problem we see a lot of people run into is they go whole hog in either way, selling all of their prior stuff. Then if they don’t like their choice they‘re a bit stuck. If you can hold on to the iPhone for a bit while you try out Android then you’ll be in a better position.

Reactions: iCorz87 and tbayrgs

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
You had an S10, why didn't you keep it? I mainly use S20 and N20, but keep my iPhone X just to verify and accept Apple verification.

I prefer OneNote. I also used Evernote and Google's, but don't care for Apple Note.

Use DeX sometimes with my Surface laptop or desktop. Also have 2020 Mac Mini but it mostly is running Windows. And trying to explore Samsung Phone Companion with Windows, don't think there is an iOS/MacOS version but it does I think a better job running Samsung Android apps on PC than Apple.

Your S10 is getting Android 11 + One UI 3.x.

iCorz87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2019
Sydney,Australia
The Apple Watch is better than pretty much any other smart watch on the market in terms of app availability and quality; however, if all you are going to use it for is notifications and payments then you will probably be more than happy with a different device.

Although you will lose iMessage, you can use Android Messages on your iPad and MacBook Air via Messages for Web.

Thanks for your comments.

iCorz87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2019
Sydney,Australia
You had an S10, why didn't you keep it? I mainly use S20 and N20, but keep my iPhone X just to verify and accept Apple verification.

I prefer OneNote. I also used Evernote and Google's, but don't care for Apple Note.

Use DeX sometimes with my Surface laptop or desktop. Also have 2020 Mac Mini but it mostly is running Windows. And trying to explore Samsung Phone Companion with Windows, don't think there is an iOS/MacOS version but it does I think a better job running Samsung Android apps on PC than Apple.

Your S10 is getting Android 11 + One UI 3.x.

Although I found the s10 to be a good phone, I gave it up as Android was unfamiliar territory to me. I’ve been thinking about it for a while and for the reasons I use iOS, it doesn’t seem like much of a difference to me for my basic use calls,messages, podcasts, music, long battery life and decent camera ) of my phone. Within my family there is s20+ A51 and A71 all of which I like the look of. My wife with the a51 sometimes gets annoyed that I’m playing with her phone.

I’m liking the s20+ but not sure I can justify the price compared to A51 or A71 and if I got an older model how long do I get software updates for?

Last edited:

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Forgive the stupid questions but hoping for some help from someone more in tune with Android than myself.

I’m contemplating jumping ship. Have owned iPhones since the 3GS but have used the S6 edge and the S10.

I have been playing with my wife’s galaxy A51 and it doesn’t seem like I’d miss anything straight off the bat from my usage of my iPhone. While iMessage is great, I don’t know that I’d go crazy if I didn’t have it.

As for the watch, the extra features are handy but I don’t really use it for anymore than receiving messages and making in store payments when I don’t have my wallet.

Apologies for the long post. Any comments appreciated
How deep are you in Apple's ecosystem? Do you have all your photos on iCloud, like to use features like Airdrop and handoff? If the answer is no, then it' quite easy to jump ship.

Easiest way is to start using Google as your main cloud reservoir for your contacts and calendar. This way, they are accessible on both Android and iOS. Have your photos on Google Photos. Basically replace everything iCloud with Google, and when you get your Android phone, it will be very easy to just have everything there already.

The nice thing is Google also make apps for iOS, so you are not losing much on your iPad. And macOS Mail and Address book support Gmail just fine. What you'll be missing is the iOS specific integration like Airdrop and handoff.

In the end, there are a lot of factors that favor Android than iOS, and it's not just about customizations. Features like dual physical SIM and twin apps (where I can have two separate Whatsapp account on my Android) are pretty much a standard fare on Android, while those things are not on Apple's.

Reactions: Professor Rucy

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I’m liking the s20+ but not sure I can justify the price compared to A51 or A71 and if I got an older model how long do I get software updates for?
For Samsung, their main flagship Galaxy S line will get 3 years of updates. If you get an S20 now, you will only be getting two more years of updates. So best is to get the current flagship (ie. wait for the S21). If you upgrade your phones often, then this is a non issue as even the S10 will still get updates this year.

The A51 and A71, unfortunately, only get quarterly security updates, unlike the monthly updates for the main S lineup. Although Samsung promised 3 years of updates as well, there's already a timeline that the A71 will only get Android 11 in May 2021 at the earliest. That's a bit disappointing as the A71 is actually not a cheap phone per se. So going with the A models means you should be aware that your updates will be much later than the flagships. If you're eyeing on the A71, I'd suggest looking for deals for the S20FE instead.

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
There are much better phones for similar prices than the A51/A71 - unless its Samsung you want.

The A51's processor is poor and the overall user experience is sluggish(had one). The A71 is definitely a better choice over the A51 if you can handle the size(had one).

If I were you I'd consider the Oneplus Nord.

What country are you in OP?

EastHillWill

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2020
Boise, ID
For Samsung, their main flagship Galaxy S line will get 3 years of updates. If you get an S20 now, you will only be getting two more years of updates. So best is to get the current flagship (ie. wait for the S21). If you upgrade your phones often, then this is a non issue as even the S10 will still get updates this year.

The A51 and A71, unfortunately, only get quarterly security updates, unlike the monthly updates for the main S lineup. Although Samsung promised 3 years of updates as well, there's already a timeline that the A71 will only get Android 11 in May 2021 at the earliest. That's a bit disappointing as the A71 is actually not a cheap phone per se. So going with the A models means you should be aware that your updates will be much later than the flagships. If you're eyeing on the A71, I'd suggest looking for deals for the S20FE instead
This is good advice. If I were in the market for a Samsung phone I’d look at used but almost new flagships from the last year or two. This year’s phones will be announced 1/14 and presumably on sale shortly thereafter, so expect to see a bunch more available very soon.

Professor Rucy

Suspended
Jan 29, 2020
Tyler, Texas, USA
If you switch, I would recommend the following--

Download a copy of all of your Apple data (it may take a few days to receive, depending on what you have backed up or saved to iCloud). Once downloaded, move to Google Drive so you have a copy there, even if you decide not to drop iCloud. From here you can import all of your photos and documents as you wish.

One thing I did was download a password manager, like Bitwarden, and copy all of my passwords and logins to websites and apps so I can use them universally across devices. It's a manual process and takes time. You can then install the Bitwarden Chrome browser extension to automatically fill your passwords on your new Android device. (Works on Android and ChomeOS).

Do not forget to transfer messages to Google Messenger. There are tutorials on the web to show you what file you need to import to do this. I remember needing a special app, too. An easier solution is to just have the tech guy at the cell phone store do it for you.

Leaving the Apple walled garden is very, very freeing. You have the opportunity to use many different devices and find the best you want. I switched from the iPhone SE to a Galaxy A10e (I don't use my phone for much but calls) and dumped my iPad for a Lenovo Chromebook Duet, and have very, very happy with both.

Mostly, I made my switch out of principle. I got tired of Apple's politics and while Google isn't perfect by any means whatsoever, Android and ChromeOS offers choice, and app sideloading and alternative app stores means if Goggle doesn't like something, you can find alternatives elsewhere. Oh, and Samsung phones are made in Vietnam, not China like OnePlus/Xiaomi.

Android has really gotten better over the last five years or so, and mostly everything you do on an iPhone or in iOS you can do on Android/Chrome... everyone is basically copying one another at their own pace.

iCorz87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2019
Sydney,Australia
How deep are you in Apple's ecosystem? Do you have all your photos on iCloud, like to use features like Airdrop and handoff? If the answer is no, then it' quite easy to jump ship.

Easiest way is to start using Google as your main cloud reservoir for your contacts and calendar. This way, they are accessible on both Android and iOS. Have your photos on Google Photos. Basically replace everything iCloud with Google, and when you get your Android phone, it will be very easy to just have everything there already.

The nice thing is Google also make apps for iOS, so you are not losing much on your iPad. And macOS Mail and Address book support Gmail just fine. What you'll be missing is the iOS specific integration like Airdrop and handoff.

In the end, there are a lot of factors that favor Android than iOS, and it's not just about customizations. Features like dual physical SIM and twin apps (where I can have two separate Whatsapp account on my Android) are pretty much a standard fare on Android, while those things are not on Apple's.
I have AW5, iPhone 11, MacBook Air and iPad mini. It’s now just coming down to the little things like, will my beats work with Android (tested on my wife’s A51 = no good, tested on a friends note 9 and worked as normal. Airdrop And handoff isn’t something I’ve used regularly admitted both are convenient but for me personally I’d also be able to go without it. If I do end up being happy with Android, I would only be changing my phone and watch.

The A51 and A71, unfortunately, only get quarterly security updates, unlike the monthly updates for the main S lineup. Although Samsung promised 3 years of updates as well, there's already a timeline that the A71 will only get Android 11 in May 2021 at the earliest. That's a bit disappointing as the A71 is actually not a cheap phone per se. So going with the A models means you should be aware that your updates will be much later than the flagships. If you're eyeing on the A71, I'd suggest looking for deals for the S20FE instead.
Will keep looking in the S line in that case. Thanks
There are much better phones for similar prices than the A51/A71 - unless its Samsung you want.

The A51's processor is poor and the overall user experience is sluggish(had one). The A71 is definitely a better choice over the A51 if you can handle the size(had one).

If I were you I'd consider the Oneplus Nord.

What country are you in OP?
I’m in Australia and yes it’s Samsung that I’d want. Thanks

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I have AW5, iPhone 11, MacBook Air and iPad mini. It’s now just coming down to the little things like, will my beats work with Android (tested on my wife’s A51 = no good, tested on a friends note 9 and worked as normal. Airdrop And handoff isn’t something I’ve used regularly admitted both are convenient but for me personally I’d also be able to go without it. If I do end up being happy with Android, I would only be changing my phone and watch.

Will keep looking in the S line in that case. Thanks

I’m in Australia and yes it’s Samsung that I’d want. Thanks
Then better wait for the S21 to come out and see what kind of deals you can find. :)

For beats, you might need the app

iCorz87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2019
Sydney,Australia
Then better wait for the S21 to come out and see what kind of deals you can find. :)

For beats, you might need the app

Tried the app with the A51 and still didn’t work, I was able to connect but the the sound was very jumpy, only caught every second word. Didn’t use the app for the note 9 and it worked straight away. Thanks for the link though. Once the S21 comes out would it still be worth it to buy an s20?

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Tried the app with the A51 and still didn’t work, I was able to connect but the the sound was very jumpy, only caught every second word. Didn’t use the app for the note 9 and it worked straight away. Thanks for the link though. Once the S21 comes out would it still be worth it to buy an s20?
How long do you plan to keep the phone for? And do you care about OS updates beyond that? The S20 will still get updates until 2022 or Android 12 at the least.

Another tip, I think Australia is Exynos country, meaning that the general S20 models come with the Exynos 990 instead of Snapdragon 865. The Exynos models tend to have poorer battery life and performance than the Snapdragon variant. But luckily you guys also get the S20 FE 5G model, which uses Snapdragon 865 (the 5G version. The 4G version is Exynos). So that's something you can think about. :)

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
what makes Android a better user experience?
Android and better user experience doesn’t exist, don’t waste your money, stick with iOS, if you do jump ship I’ll give you 2 weeks max before you come running back to a iPhone.

This is coming from someone who has tried android (Samsung) previously. Still the same fragmented, stutter, poorly written apps, glitchy mess that it’s always been.

Plus the support you get from apple is unmatched.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
How long do you plan to keep the phone for? And do you care about OS updates beyond that? The S20 will still get updates until 2022 or Android 12 at the least.

Another tip, I think Australia is Exynos country, meaning that the general S20 models come with the Exynos 990 instead of Snapdragon 865. The Exynos models tend to have poorer battery life and performance than the Snapdragon variant. But luckily you guys also get the S20 FE 5G model, which uses Snapdragon 865 (the 5G version. The 4G version is Exynos). So that's something you can think about. :)
The S20 will get android 13 as it is guaranteed for 3 major OS updates. It’s only has one so far (11). So it will be updated until 2023. It’s likely to get security updates for at least another year after that so looking at 2024.

Reactions: iCorz87 and ian87w

iCorz87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2019
Sydney,Australia
Thank you. The more information and opinions I’m reading from here I’m leaning towards s20+ but I will wait for the s21 release to see if that changes my mind

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
The S20 will get android 13 as it is guaranteed for 3 major OS updates. It’s only has one so far (11). So it will be updated until 2023. It’s likely to get security updates for at least another year after that so looking at 2024.
Thanks. Was off with my math. :D

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Thank you. The more information and opinions I’m reading from here I’m leaning towards s20+ but I will wait for the s21 release to see if that changes my mind
Yes the S21 line is being unveiled on Thursday this week. You might as well wait and then see if the s21+ is worth the upgrade and higher price than what you could get the S20+ for.

iCorz87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2019
Sydney,Australia
Thanks for all the help everyone. I decided on the S20+. Kicking myself that I didn’t stick with Android sooner, Apple is so restrictive.

Reactions: mi7chy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.