iOS to Android - can I restore an Android phone like an iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LaunchpadBS, Oct 2, 2014.

1. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

After months of going back and forth I've finally decided to jump ship. I have my own reasons, so save the sarcastic comments ;)

I have a question for anyone who knows Android or has done something similar.

Is there a way of backing up an Android phone to "the cloud" so it can be restored if damaged or replaced like an iPhone?
    And I mean full restore, like all settings, contacts, messages, photos etc.

If you're interested I've opted for the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

I love that phone, it's got so many things the iPhone is lacking (though the iPhone is no slouch either) 2600mAh battery, waterproof, dustproof, tap-2-wake, notification LED, microSD card slot, etc etc etc. All this in a compact one handed design.

Sorry I can't help you with the question though, just wanted to share my enthusiasm for the Z3 compact.

Long live 1-handed smartphones! :D

Good luck with the transition.

3. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I've never been able to backup everything to the cloud on my Note 3 using a single program. Multiple ones, yes.

But using Google services, contacts, photos, notes, most settings, etc can be backed up. You'll have to re download apps but no biggie. All my music is already in cloud between itunes and Google Play music. Documents backup depends on where you keep them...I'm using Dropbox and Google Drive so already in the cloud.

Close enough for me and it's built in for most part.

4. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I don't think restoring an Android phone is the same as iOS. When I upgraded to the iP6 from the 5 I just did a restore and it transferred all settings and data. I'm not sure you can do that on Android and especially if you cross between two manufacturers. You may be able to transfer contacts, videos and pictures though with little effort.

5. LaunchpadBS thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anyone have any experience with Titanium Backup? I've just come across it, looks pretty good, all in one kinda thing.

6. SundayDuffer macrumors 6502

SundayDuffer

Titanium Backup is awesome. I used it all the time for the last 2 yrs when i was with android. But you need root to fully fully take advantage of TB.
    You should go here for all of your android needs. Great site.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/

7. Beards macrumors 6502a

Beards

If you own an LG G3 then the answer is a definite Yes.
    LG has an App (LG Backup) that is part of the settings menu.
    Using it you can backup parts of or your entire internal system, storage, personal settings, everything worts and all.
    I have two G3's and made a backup on one, saved it to the external micro SD card (file size was just over 2GB).
    Next I inserted said MicroSD card into the other G3 and went into settings backup & restore. Picked the file which it found on the external MicroSD card, ran it and an hour later I had a perfect copy of my other G3, wallpaper, Home Screen icons widgets worts and all.

8. oneofthenine macrumors regular

Just to comment on the Z3 compact (as most of the backup things have been covered), I absolutely love my red one. All the specs I wanted in a phone not much bigger than a 5s with a 4.6 inch screen somehow magically fitted in. Only phone I have ever had that managed a second day with my rather heavy usage (and I've been through a lot of phones).