iOS to become OS11? A nightmare waiting to happen

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hannahwildcat, Jun 23, 2010.

1. hannahwildcat macrumors newbie

Over the past few weeks, i have felt increasingly wary over the fact that it is likely that the next Desktop os (OS11) will be some form of apple's iOS. I believe that this is a nightmare waiting to happen. I don't want a f---ing touch screen, nor do i want stupid mobile apps on my pro machine. I want to make films usind final cut pro. Now don't get me wrong, iOS is great for the iPhone and I would probably have one if apple would have just let verizon have it's way. But iOS needs to stay a mobile OS ans STAY AWAY FROM MY FINAL CUT PRO! Thoughts?

2. celticpride678

I don't think that's going to happen. Mac OS X is Mac OS X.

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Apple has a ways to go then because the iPhone 4 runs Darwin 10.3 while OSX is 10.4

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Is this serious? Now, if one day Steve Jobs announces that OS 11 will not be running flash, then you should be concerned. At this point, you need to take a yoga class or something to calm your mind--if you worry needlessly like this.

5. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

If this ever came true, I don't think I'd ever buy another Apple product.

6. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

when did it ever start being called "iOS"? When the iphone first came out they touted it as running OS X.

I think Apple will absolutely move to an app store environment eventually, something that allows them to dictate and collect tax on everything on a Mac.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This has been explained too many times to count, but certain people just can't get their heads around the concept. iOS was developed for small digital devices. It is specifically designed for the iPhone/iPod touch/iPad form factors, battery life, and processor power. It shares a code base with MacOS X, but has a UI that is very different from the Mac UI. The Mac's UI is designed for monitors, keyboards, and mice/trackpads. Having specifically designed iOS to serve a different purpose than MacOS X, there is no way that Apple will turn around and replace MacOS X on the iOS on the Mac.

8. larkost macrumors 6502a

The name changed when Steve Jobs went on stage and announced that the iPhone's OS name changed. This was at this last WWDC, durring the keynote. It still shares the same kernel, but the upper layers are markedly different.

My guess is that this will become an option, but I don't think that it will ever be mandatory. People like the AppStore. It is easy, trustable, and the install method is something that non-technical people can be comfortable with. There is definitely a place for it. That being said there is also a place for the "more traditional" methods of acquiring software, and Steve Jobs has repeatedly voiced his opinion that there will be a place for our current concept of computers (just that less people will need to use them).

9. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

Tin foil hat too tight perhaps.
    [try the next largest size]

10. PeterQVenkman macrumors 68020

I don't think Apple will put iOS on Macbooks and iMacs. I think they would stop selling macs as we know them first.

11. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

Even if OS 11 is a version of iOS, I'm quite sure that your computer will do more than just run the apps available today. Apple won't abandon people's ability to run high-end programs. They will still be accessible with a desktop version of iOS. The problem would be requiring all the developers to rewrite their software for the new operating system, which some developers might simply say no. Three complete software rewrites in a decade is a lot to ask (OS9 -> OS X -> iOS).

12. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

my only guess is that parts of iOS will find their way into os11 , as a lot of customers want a touchscreen iMac/Macbook ,as a lot of apple customers now are switchers who use windows and they want the same hardware as on their pc's
    and most AIO pc's nowadays offer touchscreens

and for catering for high end software there is no need really any longer, since windows runs on the Mac's its timesaving for the developers of high end programs , no need to develop for osx really ,so the apps should be enough for the few people who still want to use osx as if you look around loads of peeps use windows anyway , i even know a few who never ever have used anything in osx since they bought their new iMac's , and i mean with a few 12 out of 17 owners of new iMac's i know personally and some of them have Macbooks too which never had been used to run osx and the 5 who are booting in osx use osx for surfing and downloading and emails , because its safer then windows but everything else they still do in windows, but i try to convince them that there is software available for osx that can do the same stuff as software for windows

13. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Mac OS 11 (or XI) is still almost a decade away, so who knows what kind of input devices we have by then. Maybe at that time, something like iOS makes some kind of sense for bigger computers.

Btw, iOS will mature too, it will not stay like it is today.

14. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

a decade? alright so nothing to worry about now
    but i still think apple is going the wrong way