iOS turned my iPhone 5 into a paper weight...

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by SilianRail, Sep 17, 2014.

1. SilianRail macrumors 6502

Downloaded fine, but stops at 20% install screen. Holding the home and power button to reset doesn't do anything it starts over and still freezes at 20%.

2. RyanG macrumors 6502

3. SilianRail thread starter macrumors 6502

Managed to go 2 years without downloading iTunes. Uh oh. Now I can't respond to iTunes wanting to be the base for this phone.

4. MrGuder macrumors 68020

hmm are you sure you didn't interrupt the download and install? If you did this over the air, it's possible you lost connection to internet. It's always best to install major updates through iTunes. It just makes things go a lot smoother.

5. SilianRail thread starter macrumors 6502

My wifi works fine and my iPad updated just fine over the air. No idea what happened. I really dislike iTunes since it's a bloated mess and bugs me about updates every 3 days.

6. MrGuder macrumors 68020

Well yes they do updates but it's only 1 click to say no do not update and since you are not using iTunes anyway (but just to fix your download) then it shouldn't be an issue for you.

You can always not use iTunes and go into an apple store and ask for help or call them on the phone for support. There are other ways you can get help besides downloading iTunes.

7. SilianRail thread starter macrumors 6502

The problem is that since I haven't used iTunes before I can't confirm on my phone linking iTunes to my phone since it's frozen. Is there a hard hard reset like taking out the SIM card or something?

8. soulsyphon macrumors regular

press and hold the top and bottom buttons until your phone goes off, then press the bottom button to turn it back on, the install should restart or continue.

edit: oh it still freezes... uh in that case go to apple store.

9. Mstikes macrumors member

Mstikes

Had the same problems while updating my iPad to iOS 8. It crashed in the middle of the update and I got the dreaded "connect to iTunes" symbol. Thankfully I was able to recover it with my macbook and I'm now restoring it from my iCloud backup !

10. vitacura macrumors regular

Count me amongst those with problems. I updated my 5 and it somehow crashed, had to plug it in and restore.

11. Arndroid macrumors 6502a

Arndroid

Yeah I had to do that for my iPad air and now for my iPhone 5.

12. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Before the window closes you can downgrade to 7.1.2 which is much more refined and stable at the moment. You can downgrade and then hold off on iOS 8 until 8.1. The choice is yours but make it quick if you wanna downgrade!

13. SilianRail thread starter macrumors 6502

Genius bar earliest openings are Monday. :eek: