IOS up to date but iTunes ways to update it

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by Mac4Brains, May 17, 2012.

1. Mac4Brains macrumors member

Mac4Brains

My iPhone 4S is running the current IOS (5.1.1) on the Verizon network. But when I went to sync it, iTunes tells me that it wants to run a “An update to the carrier settings for your iPhone is available. Would you like to download it now?” What is strange about this is the iTunes app says “Your iPhone is up to date”

I normally wait till I hear on the rumor-mill what an update is doing. But I have not heard a peep about this one. Anyone got any ideas as to what this is?

2. FlatlinerG macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

It isn't prompting you to update your iOS version. iTunes is telling you that there is a new carrier bundle for your iPhone. I would definitely recommend doing that update. They are usually done over the air, but in some cases iTunes will prompt you for it.

3. Mac4Brains thread starter macrumors member

Mac4Brains

OK what is a "carrier bundle" then?

4. FlatlinerG macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

Just different updates for the actual carrier connectivity information for the device.

"Carrier Bundles provide a way to organize all customizations related to carriers in one place. These include voice mail numbers, MMS and APN settings etc" (theiphonewiki.com).