iOS update 4.2.7 - Device not Eligible with Requested Build

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bmburton13, Apr 14, 2011.

1. bmburton13, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011

bmburton13 macrumors newbie

bmburton13

I have a iPhone 4 (CDMA), not jailbroken or anything. I havn't messed with anything hardware wise.

I downloaded the iOS fine, then it asked me if I wanted to update to the iPhone, so i clicked yes of course, and then it says its "Verifying iPhone update with Apple". The the message comes up saying the "device isn't eligible with request build". I check out the more information button, bringing me to an Apple support page that doesn't help me whatsoever.

I even tried restoring it, and it gave me the same message.

I made sure my iPhone is registered with Apple. I don't understand why this is doing this.

If anyone can help me it would be great. THANK YOU

FIXED IT. All i had to do was power off the iPhone and then wait a few minutes and power it back on. Started applying update as soon as iTunes found it.

2. Crescents macrumors newbie

Crescents

Having the same problem, hope someone can give us an answer :(

3. BigPines macrumors newbie

Same problem here. Verizon iPhone. Not jailbroken or anything. Tried the powering off but no dice. If anyone has a solution to this, please post.

Mike

4. Crescents macrumors newbie

Crescents

I just got it to work, finally!

Here are the steps:

1. From Finder, click "Go" and then "Go to Folder"
    2. Type /etc/ and press return
    3. Find the document titled "Hosts" and open it.
    4. Find the address "74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com" (or something to that effect) and delete it.
    5. Save As to your DESKTOP. (Make sure to uncheck "if no extension is provided, use .txt")
    6. BACK UP the ORIGINAL "Hosts" document to somewhere else on your computer, just in case.
    7. Drag and drop the new "Hosts" document you saved to your desktop to the /etc/ folder.
    8. Enter your password to verify, and that should work. (If not, replace the new "Hosts" document with the original one.)

I got this brilliant solution from the Apple Discussion boards, and it worked for me after I'd tried turning off the phone and restoring it!

Click here

Let me know if it works for you too

5. BigPines macrumors newbie

Yep, that did the trick.

I think I know why this happened now. Hehehehehe

Thanks for the tip! :)

Mike

6. Crescents macrumors newbie

Crescents

Your welcome. Once I found a suitable solution, that was hard to find. Thought it would be best to post it here. :)

7. djzapp macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for this!! I have never had an issue before but when trying to go to 4.3.2 kept getting this error. This fixed it.

Thanks again.

MIKE

8. Crescents macrumors newbie

Crescents

You're welcome Mike!:)

9. rdlaub macrumors newbie

I can't thank you enough for this tip. I've been having this problem through 2 updates with both my iphone and ipad. This worked like a charm!