iOS Update Best Practices

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by hArrisburger, Sep 9, 2016.

1. hArrisburger macrumors regular

As a frequent participant in the iOS Public Betas release I have always searched for a "best practices" on what to do when updating iOS. You obviously should back up before any update, but I also at the very least reset all settings and perform a Service Update for Cellular Usage. As well as letting the battery rundown and calibrate the first few go arounds.

Is there anything out there with additional suggestions? Would be great to have to save for future releases.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Ultimately there really isn't anything special that needs to be done and it's basically down to what works for you. For many just doing OTA without anything special works just fine, for others they like to do certain things before and/or after, for others still they like to start completely fresh and restore as new using iTunes (potentially without even using a backup), etc.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I have never understood this. iPhones and Macs do a very good job of monitoring their own battery health. As far as I know, calibrating the battery isn't necessary at all.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It isn't anymore. Everything the OP does is a waste of time besides ensuring a backup is completed and an iCloud backup is fine for that. Although none of it can hurt.

5. asv56kx3088 macrumors 6502

I simply back up on iTunes and update with the IPSW file.

6. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

no need to reset settings unless you have problems. waste of time