iOS update forced downloads on iOS 5 devices

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Last iOS 5 user, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Last iOS 5 user macrumors member

Remember when Apple was sued for pushing iOS update downloads without the owner's permission to iOS 6 devices? Would this happen to iOS 5 devices too? right now when I charge my iPhone 4 I make myself do the extra step to turn off the Wifi (and forget it too just for good measure). Any iOS 5 users who have this happen?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

iOS 5, 6, and 7 devices will still download the latest iOS update for their device when connected to a power source and a compatible data connection.

3. Quantum2 macrumors newbie

Why would you want to keep iOS 5 ?

4. Last iOS 5 user thread starter macrumors member

Google Maps, Youtube, general look (don't like iOS 6's looks and def. not 7 or 8) on any device.

If on an iPhone 4S, Susan Bennett.

I have an iPhone 4S which I got with iOS 7 and will push to its latest version but anything for me that runs iOS 4 or 5 will stay. It's just how I am.

----------

Guess I have been doing the right thing, I hate when the new updates take my space and force me to upgrade to something I find slowing, stupidlooking, and not suitable for me!

5. Quantum2 macrumors newbie

Fair enough I guess :)

6. Jr. Pac, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014

Jr. Pac macrumors member

iOS 5 was the peak, all the goods of iOS 6 but with the glossy menu bars and bold weather.
    iOS 6 was still good but not as nice as iOS 5 and not nearly at the same level of disgust as iOS 7.

Once my iOS 6 iPhone 4 force-upgraded to iOS 7 it was terrible... of which I later tried a 3GS on iOS 4.1 and liked it better than any other (visuals are nearly identical between iOS 4 and 5). I finally managed to hack-downgrade my iP4 to iOS 6 and sure enough, it downloaded the iOS 7 update without my permission. You're doing well.

7. Dented macrumors 6502a

IOS 5 was better than IOS 6 in my opinion - it was the peak of "classic" IOS in my opinion, not just because of the maps thing but because the overall design was more cohesive. IOS 6 was a bit of a mess and I never understood why it was held up as some kind of design triumph by some when 7 came out.

7 IMHO is better than both of them, structurally and design wise.

8. I7guy macrumors G5

I couldn't agree more. Although at this point it doesn't really matter, IOS 7 design elements are here to stay.

9. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

The software will download.. But ull have to hit install manually