ios update on unactivated iphone 3g?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by budysr, Dec 26, 2010.

1. budysr macrumors newbie

I'm hoping to update the ios from 4.0 to 4.2 on my old iphone 3g(which is unactivated and not being used with ATT). I am able to still connect it to itunes and sync it. itunes still sees it as the same name as my iphone4. I see the option to update the software on it, but have heard that this will probably brick the phone with it not having an active sim. Is there a way to get 4.2 on this thing without bricking it? 4.0 is dog-ass slow on a 3g, or I wouldn't even fool with it. I do like still having this as an ipod touch

2. LongbowFoSho macrumors member

I'm no expert, but I've done a few updates in my time and never had any issues doing an update without a sim.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You will need an at&t sim to activate it or you will have to hactivate it and jailbreak it.
    If not after the update the only thing you will see is the connect to itunes logo.

4. budysr thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't mind jailbreaking it if thats what it takes. Do I jailbreak it first, then update to 4.2? Or update and then jailbreak when I see the connect to itunes logo(if thats even possible)?
    Never jailbroke before so not sure on how that relates to a "simless" phone

5. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Yes, first your update through iTunes then you jailbreak.