Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

divergirl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
I've been thinking of getting an iPad 5, but I would also like to keep it for at least two years. I've heard that when a new iOS update comes out, it can sometimes cause some older iPads to become sluggish. Which updates slow it down? For example, for the 5th gen, would I have to worry about any of the 7.x updates causing slow down, or would it really not be something to worry about until iOS 8 comes out? Also, if you choose not to update, how often do you get that annoying reminder to do it? Sorry for the silly question; I am just not one who likes to upgrade their tech all that often. I'd rather have an older OS version that runs quickly than have the latest and greatest but have it be sluggish. :)

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I've been thinking of getting an iPad 5, but I would also like to keep it for at least two years. I've heard that when a new iOS update comes out, it can sometimes cause some older iPads to become sluggish. Which updates slow it down? For example, for the 5th gen, would I have to worry about any of the 7.x updates causing slow down, or would it really not be something to worry about until iOS 8 comes out? Also, if you choose not to update, how often do you get that annoying reminder to do it? Sorry for the silly question; I am just not one who likes to upgrade their tech all that often. I'd rather have an older OS version that runs quickly than have the latest and greatest but have it be sluggish. :)
As for iOS updastes slowing down devices, it depends on the update and the device. I suspect that the newer iOS devices won't have as much of an issue with slowdown as the older devices did. And you really won't know how an older device will react to a new iOS update until you try the update.

Also, depending on what you use the device for, you may not run in to what has caused slowness for other people.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
ipad 3 and up with 1GB ram will have no problem with future iOS upgrade. I will be little worry about my iPad 2 with 512MB ram runs slow with iOS 7? :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.