iOS update twice a year would be nice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yodaxl7, Jul 25, 2010.

1. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

It would be nice, if apple can update the iOS twice a year. Come on Steve! give us 4.5 !! Better notification would be nice: swipe up or down to enter the notification screen. Be able to purchase multiple apps before leaving the app store would be nice. Make the photo album creator easier. I got all photos taken in one album. Maybe game section can be further divided like: first person shooters, rpg, puzzles, etc. Able to upload 720p photos to youtube. If the file is too big, have the app able to divide the video into multiple parts to upload. Change folders to custom folders. So, we can have custom label on the folder or a picture on the folders. widgets would be nice. Custom Apple app that uses the front facing camera. Multiplayer games can use the api for the front facing camera that would be cool. What other ideas would be nice?

2. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

2 or 3 of those things are in iOS 4. You can label your folders however you'd like, there is an API for the front camera, and you can label the games however you'd like in your own folders. PixelPipe HD can upload the whole HD video to youtube. I think what you're asking for is not worthy of an upgrade 2x a year.

3. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

Eventually I can see them doing it bi-annually as competition from other platforms increase, but currently the new OS is usually part of the big demo that highlights the features of the newest iPhone.

4. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

5. admanimal macrumors 68040

Major software updates don't just grow on trees. They take significant time and effort to do right, and Apple's current pace is already difficult to keep up and maintain quality. I highly doubt we will see them go any faster than they are now; in fact things might slow down eventually as they have with desktop OS X.

6. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

They have slowed down with the desktop OS X because of the iPhone development. Certain key developers were pulled from the OS X team to work on iPhone development at the start, and I don't know if they were ever put back.

7. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I'm sort of confused as to how Pixelpipe works. I tried to upload about a 3 minute video to YouTube in HD, and it said the file was too large. I didn't look into it much, because I just assumed it wasn't possible to, but a previous comment says otherwise.

8. admanimal macrumors 68040

Probably true enough...although I guess this just reinforces my point about even the current pace needing significant efforts to maintain.

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Any software developer will tell you that adding features is a breeze. They could easily add 100 features a month. The BIG problem is making sure they all work correctly on all devices and don't conflict with any other part of the code. This is what takes time and why large feature updates aren't thrown out like candy. As the iOS code gets larger and more complex it becomes even harder for a development team to "prove" their new feature won't cause compatibility problems.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It seems apple does one major update, a .x per year and one maybe two .0x updates a year which are mostly bug fixes.

I agree apple needs to shorten the development cycle a bit, with android banging out some major updates every few months adding lots of features, they need to keep pace. Yeah Android is a newer OS and google stated they'll slow down the pace a bit themselves. Still one update a year from apple :confused:

11. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

2x a year...?

They update about 5 times throughout the year. Of course it's just fixing bugs the previous update caused.