iOS Updates

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by onlymiah, Oct 1, 2012.

1. onlymiah macrumors 6502

I have a question I am hoping somebody can assist me with. I have a friend who is thinking about buying an iPad. she has heard that Apple only supports a device for three years, and then updates are no longer available for it. Is this true? How long does a device generally support the latest iOS upgrades? I see that iOS6 supports iPhones from 3GS to iP5, that is at least four years, but iOS6 does not support the original iPad, and that is only two years. Does it vary like this?

Thanks!
    Jeremiah

2. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

Yes, it does vary. Apple don't tend to make definitive support dates. They just drop support when they feel the device in question isn't powerful enough to handle the latest iOS updates anymore.

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

They usually support the past 3 iPhones, the past 2 iPads and the past 2 iPod Touches.

Far more support than the 6-12 (max) month support you'll see on Android and other non-iOS devices.

So, if I were here, I would:

1.) Wait for the rumored iPad event in a few weeks
    2.) If she wants it now, buy an iPad 3 and not buy an iPad 2. They will likely be discontinued soon (been sold for 1.5 years).
    3.) If she can wait a few months, wait for the iPad 4 in Spring 2013.