iOS updates

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Texas_Toast, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Texas_Toast macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

When you buy an iPhone, do you get free upgrades of iOS similar to how Apple gives free upgrades to OS-X?

Also, can you choose which iOS you want on your iPhone?

Like on my MacBook Pro, I can choose whether to keep running Mountain Lion or if I want to run Yosemite or El Capitan or even go backwards from El Capitan to Mountain Lion.

Is that possible with an iPhone?

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Free updates? Yes.
    Choose to upgrade? Yes.
    Downgrade/roll back? No.

3. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Well, you can roll back to the previous software version for a very limited time (usually one or two weeks). When Apple stops "signing" a software version, you can no longer roll back.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Apple makes it extremely difficult with older phones to downgrade.

They make it impossible to downgrade with newer phones.

Apple also does things to prod you into upgrading when you'd rather not.

For instance, they often do not pass new features of iOS down to older iPhones. You cannot get 3D Touch on an iPhone 6 for example.

Apple wants to keep it's users on the same version of iOS as much as possible. It cuts down on support issues and Apple often cites security.

It also prevents users from jumping around to versions of iOS that can be jailbroken.

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

As oppose to OSX...

IOS upgrades are free.

As others already mentioned, IOS down-grade is near impossible, so make sure you have a reason to upgrade before hitting the UPDATE button, read all reviews, and allow it to "stabilize."

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

OS X/macOS upgrades have been free for some time now.

7. Omen87 macrumors regular

Omen87

3D Touch is hardware feature. There is no way to enable it on an older phone. However, some features of 3D Touch are simulated with a long press on devices which do not support it.

8. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

What is the latest iOS?

Is it any good?

Should I even be thinking about iOS versions when I go to buy my first iPhone, or is is not the same as when you buy a Mac?

9. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Latest is iOS 10.0 All iPhone 7/7Plus will come with iOS 10. iPhone 6s/6sPlus/SE will probably be shipping with iOS 9.3.x for a few months until new stock comes in with iOS 10. All these devices are eligible for iOS 10.

10. sdwaltz macrumors 6502

iOS 10 is great.

No, you shouldn't be thinking about iOS versions. Typically, you just want to have the most updated version of the software.

If you're hell-bent on keeping the software where it is, you do not have to update. But once you do, there's no going back.

11. Conan86 macrumors 6502

The latest iOS is great on all the device that supports it. You shouldn't be thinking about which iOS version your phone is running unless you're getting a much older phone, which may be a lil faster if it's on an older iOS version. iOS and MacOS (OS X) are two entirely different systems, you shouldn't think of iOS versions as a computer OS at all.

That being said, iOS upgrades has always been free for iPhones since the invention of it. Most of the devices gets about 4 updates (meaning its supported for 5 years) before it gets dropped from the next iOS release. (e.g. The iPhone 5 had iOS 6 when released in 2012, and is still supported by iOS 10 in 2016, whereas iPhone 4s which launched with iOS 5 in 2011 is not supported by iOS 10). Also, not all new iOS features are supported by older phones so its up to you to judge if the supported features are worth the upgrade when a new version is released.

12. Superrjamz54 macrumors 6502

Superrjamz54

How the hell would you get 3D Touch on a device that doesn't have the Taptic sensors to read it? Do you think they are going to recall every single device so they can add that sensor to it? I understand the point your making, but that was a horrible example of it.

13. newellj macrumors 601

Random notes.

Like iOS, OS X can't be installed on hardware newer than the operating system. That's separate from, or a subset of, the question: "can I retrograde?" You can only retrograde as far back as the operating system version that was originally installed on the hardware, and there are very short windows to do this with iOS.

While it's true in theory that you can keep an iOS device on its original version of iOS forever, most people will find that installed apps no longer update, and that new apps can't be installed, because they need a newer version of iOS. How big a problem is depends a lot on what apps you use and individual developers update their apps. I kept an iPhone 4S for years on its original iOS version, but the situation with the apps got to be a real annoyance - not so much the apps that didn't update but new apps that I wanted to install that needed a newer version of iOS.

14. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Thank you for your comments.

I have to say that @Omen87 was more gracious in how he expressed the same thoughts.

That said, it was a horrible example. I agree with you.

However as @Omen87 stated, "some features of 3D Touch are simulated with a long press on devices which do not support it."

Which is not the same of course but is an option available to jailbroken iDevices.

Please excuse my poor example.

15. Texas_Toast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas_Toast

Okay, so I guess iOS is not a consideration when buying a new iPhone 6S Plus from Apple.

Thanks!
    --- Post Merged, Oct 4, 2016 ---
    My OP was asking in the context of "If I buy a new iPhone 6S Plus from Apple - which is technically an old phone - will I be getting stuck with an old iOS that I cannot upgrade to - especially since the iPhone 7 is out and maybe it has a newer iOS."

Follow me?

16. newellj macrumors 601

The other answers are correct, I was trying to provide additional information for you. By the way, depending on when the 6S you buy was made, it's possible that it will come out of the box with iOS 10 already installed (although that's probably unlikely for a while).

17. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

Apple typically supports their phones with new OS releases for 4 years or so. For instance, the iPhone 4S stopped at iOS 9, while the iPhone 5 currently is the oldest device supported by iOS 10, and will likely be dropped next fall with iOS 11.