iOS verizon vs. att

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by frunkis54, Jan 27, 2011.

1. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

currently with att there is dif software versions between the different iphone 3g,3gs, or 4. will the software be dif between the verizon and att.

i ask because i update iphones for friends and when they had 3gs and i had a 4 i had to download the software twice and of course when he moved up to the 4 i only had to download once then i could update both phones.

do you think the software version will be different between the 2 providers to require multiple downloads?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If the Verizon iPhone ships with 4.3, no. If it ships with 4.2.5, then yes. But only until both are running 4.3.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

My guess is it will need different firmware for GSM and CDMA versions of the iphone.
    So the 4.3 firmware IPSW for CDMA will not be able to be installed on the GSM iphone.

4. frunkis54 thread starter macrumors 65816

frunkis54

i figured as much with one of us with verizon and one with att it would require 2 sep downloads at home its no big deal my internet speed is fast but work it takes 1hr to download

5. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

Hardware wise both phones are identical except for the radio and antenna.

There is no need to make two versions of the OS. All current iOS devices use the same OS (iPad, iPod touch, iPhone 3Gs and 4).

Apple will just include drivers for both radios (GSM CDMA) in iOS 4.3.

6. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

That is just a driver issue, like different video cards on different Macs. The same OS will contain drivers for both radios.

7. frunkis54 thread starter macrumors 65816

frunkis54

actually they are each slightly different. they are all the same 4.2 number but if you try to update a iphone 3gs itunes will say download and install. if you plug in a second 3gs it will just update the new OS, but if you then plug in a 4 it will say you need to download update.
    it has done that for me every time.

8. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

I think RebeccaL is talking about the Verizon iPhone 4 and the AT&T iPhone 4. Not the 3GS and iPhone 4.

9. frunkis54, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011

frunkis54 thread starter macrumors 65816

frunkis54

Actually she says they are all the same on att which they are not. not everyone would know unless they update multiple iphones versions. or if you are a developer you see the different versions.

shakeman, that was my original question whether att and verizons software will be the same, which probably know one can answer till the 10th of february.