iOS vs Windows Phone 8 - Simple Use As a Phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fouracre44, May 19, 2013.

1. Fouracre44 macrumors regular

Hi Guys,

I realise the relatively silly title for a new thread but bear with me and I'll try and explain what I am after. I decided to ask this question here because as a past iOS & current Mac user, I feel they will understand what I am looking for.

Around three months ago, my iphone 4s was stolen from my bag while I was working. I decided first that I Was going to get a new iphone, but quite frankly, I think they're not really priced that well & I am looking to move away from iOS for a few reasons.

After living with & using top tier phones, I can honestly say I'm exhausted. I'm quite sick of all the latest & greatest smart phones, I don't need these incredible super computers to accomplish anything in my job, nor in my personal life. What I want, is a reliable, smart, easy to use, simple and durable communication device. At first my first thought was buy a dumb phone, but I don't want to give up everything on a smartphone, I still enjoy using a few simple apps, I enjoy the touch screen, I enjoy the bigger sizes ( not much bigger than the iPhone ) and they're incredibly cheap so why not.

Recently I've undertaken an apprenticeship, and I find I have less and less time and interest in keeping up with the latest smart phones and I could now care less about tinkering with my phone, rooting it, custom roms etc.. I just want a good quality simple smartphone.

I'm not comfortable with getting an iphone 5, I have a few reasons but simply, I just don't want one. I'm looking for people who can help me out because I'm utterly lost, I'm tired & I don't know what phone is good or bad. I really want to check out windows phone 8, but overall I just want a good quality phone that will be easy to use.

I'll go back to iOS if I have to, but I want to use this device as a phone first & foremost, all the cool smart phone stuff is great, but It sort of gets put on the back burner. I don't need it for my job and in a sort of recently liberating discovery, I found I don't need half of the technology in my life either. I do love iOS and Apple, however I'm not necessarily comfortable with their premiums and I think the new iphone 5 has too many issues I;ve seen, not that I know much about it.

If anyone here has experience with windows phone 8 ( in real world scenarios, not extensive benchmarks that don't mean much to me ) in terms of using it as a communication device with few apps etc.. please help me out here.

2. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

Perhaps try asking in a Windows forum...you may find some iOS converts there. Anyone on here will probably tell you iOS is better (that's why they are here).

3. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

I'm curious as to what your reasons are for not wanting to get an iPhone 5(other than price) and your reasons for moving away from iOS.

I'm even more curious because iOS/iPhone meet all of your requirements.

If price is an issue, then just pick up another iPhone 4S or 4. The 4 is still a very good phone and you can get one for $300 or less.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

It would help if you could narrow down what all you want to do. You mention you like using apps, but which apps? Windows phone has the weakest app market currently (although it has grown leaps and bounds, especially the last few months), so that might pose a problem. As far as basic tasks like calls, texts, email, and Internet, pretty much anything you pick will likely meet your needs. One quirky thing with windows phone 8 is that one cannot change text message tones for contacts; you pick one text tone (and by the way you can't add more) and that's it. As silly as it sounds, that was a deal breaker for me since I text a lot for work. As far as devices are concerned, I'd go with a Nokia. They are all in with windows phone and have the most devices out there. Buying a Nokia is a bit like buying a computer. Decide which features matter to you (screen quality, camera, color, size, etc) and they will likely have a handset that fits your needs. If you are willing to buy used you can grab a too tier handset for under $300

Also, check out windows phone central.

5. Mrbobb, May 19, 2013
    Last edited: May 20, 2013

Mrbobb macrumors 601

Sounds like toy burn out and the wifey just placed a lock on the checking account. :D

What happened to that HTC purchase from May 8? Already given up after 12 days?

6. Fouracre44 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow... I didn't expect this kind of response. I'm a member of MacRumors, I'm not going and signing up to a windows forum because I know the members here ( at least some ) are subjective and aren't just loyal to one brand. I'm a member at MacRumors and I use Mac's, doesn't mean I have to use an iPhone.

There are many members here who have migrated to windows phone, and I was inteested in their opinion, and member knowledgeable members who could at least help me out in getting in the right direction.

Mrbobb - Sorta, I didn't actually purchase the handset yet, got it on contract, and I thought Android was the be all and end all of mobile software, I had used android and liked it, until I used a windows 8 phone, that just made things so simple & easier, more so than iOS and like I will keep using my phone, but come tax time when I get a bunch of money, I will probably buy a windows phone ad put the rest into savings.

Don't get me wrong the HTC one is a great phone, I think I just rushed into it & bought it because I had used android before, and Ios before and liked android better, then I used windows phone 8 and while android and iOS are better at somethings, making calls, reading & sending messages clearly & easily is better on the windows phone for me.

7. watchthisspace macrumors 6502a

If you're set on Windows Phone 8, I'd suggest the HTX 8x or Lumia 720. Both nice Windows phones without breaking the bank.

Windows Phone 8 is an OS with a bit of a learning curve. At least with iOS you already know how OS works and won't spend much time setting it back up.

I would go into the phone provider you'll be signing up with and spending a good amount of time playing with a Windows Phone before making the jump.

At the end of the day, iOS is a much safer investment or even an Android device.