Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fritzables

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2011
Brisbane AUSTRALIA
Hi All,

I look through the internet looking at various apps for IOS. One thing which is quiet noticeable that a lot of designers don't use the standard set of GUI widgets or controls when developing the application.

I also wish to design my own look.

I have taken a quick a look and see a few companies offering custom widgets to use in ones design, but if I want to design my own - how do we go about doing this?

Pete

CodeBreaker

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
Sea of Tranquility
Hi All,

I look through the internet looking at various apps for IOS. One thing which is quiet noticeable that a lot of designers don't use the standard set of GUI widgets or controls when developing the application.

I also wish to design my own look.

I have taken a quick a look and see a few companies offering custom widgets to use in ones design, but if I want to design my own - how do we go about doing this?

Pete

Hmm, I shouldn't be commenting here because I'm a developer, not a designer.
But from my experience, any guy with little Photoshop expertise can do this. You just need to follow the Human Interface Guidelines prescribed by Apple.

And (almost) all UI elements in custom iOS apps are just images. So you create an image in Photoshop and you developer puts it over a button. Simple.

Fritzables

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2011
Brisbane AUSTRALIA
G'Day CodeBreaker,

Yea, got all that ready and have read the document. Creating custom Buttons and simple controls - I don't have any drama with but I want to create something like a car's Speedo Dial.

Not too sure if I have my sights aims too high as a beginner.

Pete

lasash

Suspended
Sep 15, 2012
Hey,

I have a friend who is an App designer, and he has a friend that is an App developer, and he mainly makes static images in Photoshop and some Maya 3D animations, and his friend puts it all together in the programming of the app.

I think the normal view objects suffice for simple & advanced apps.
Take a look at Twitter, Gmail and Facebook apps, they all use Xcode's library objects with their own branding and colors.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Yea, got all that ready and have read the document. Creating custom Buttons and simple controls - I don't have any drama with but I want to create something like a car's Speedo Dial.
See this tutorial:
http://www.mobisoftinfotech.com/blog/iphone/ios-tutorial-custom-speedometer-control/

Found by googling: ios speedo dial

Not too sure if I have my sights aims too high as a beginner.
Look at the linked tutorial. If you don't understand some specific thing it's doing, then study the specific thing you don't understand (e.g. a class or method). If you don't understand some fundamentals, like how to subclass a view, how the geometry works, or how to connect it to a speed source, then study those fundamentals.

If none of the tutorial makes any sense at all, then start with the basics, and learn those. If you don't know how to drive, reading a speedo is the least of your concerns.

Fritzables

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2011
Brisbane AUSTRALIA
Thanks all for our help.

chown33 - That's is exactly what I wanted to see and it will be ideal for designing other custom controls - thanks very much for this.

Pete

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.