iOS will go downhill from here

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by JS82712, Nov 13, 2012.

1. JS82712 macrumors 6502a

JS82712

Craig Federighi has control over the iOS team now.

we all know the things Craig has done over the last 2 years for OSX - putting in iOS features at the cost of system stability, and taking away features users loved (Expose, space,..etc)

Snow leopard, also known as apple's windows xp, was built and managed by Bertrand Serlet, who has now left apple. and when Craig took over, he introduced...Wifi connectivity problems to iMacs, macbooks, and all sorts of system glitches.

Speaking of which, ML broke more things on my 3 macs than it fixed, even after 2 clean installs.

For a guy like this to take over iOS, I think it's safe to say..apple's best days are well behind us.

2. zbarvian macrumors 68010

3. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

i understand threads about current issues, but i don't get all these 'apple is doomed', 'it's over' threads.

stop wining about what may happen...when there's plenty to discuss in the present)... :rolleyes:

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

5. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

Right because SL had no glitches at all. :rolleyes: And just because some of the features added in OSX don't suit you, doesn't mean they aren't good for others. I particularly love mission control, launchpad, and the other "iOS features". So no, the days of iOS aren't behind us. The world isn't ending.

6. JS82712 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JS82712

I don't think I ever said something along the lines of 'apple is doomed' :rolleyes:

I've made a few threads back in the days of iOS 6 GM, and i said, apple cannot and should not release the Maps app at that state, or else people will go crazy and the media will be all over it. Apple still released it, look where that got them. :rolleyes:

I do enjoy some of the new features in ML, but apple is starting to forget that they charge a premium for these computers, and certainly, people expect to do more out of these machines than those iOS toys.

tl;dr version: I don't mind the addition of iOS features, but the core features that made OSX great shouldn't be sacrificed/compromised in the process.

and I certainly hope craig is more innovative than just porting apps between two OS.

7. MMOTotal macrumors regular

I like Mountain Lion and the general direction OSX is going. Sure it isn't as fast or efficient as the Snow Leopard days but it is improving.

8. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

If ML is an indication then I'm very confident for where things are going.

9. dv8r macrumors 6502

dv8r

Launchpad? Really? You like... launchpad?

I thought such people didn't exist...

10. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

I'm fine with OSX and iOS as a whole..

I can't see this happening.

11. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

My main problem with Launchpad is that you can't remove any apps you want -- only App Store apps.

I actually would find it useful IF I could choose to put only the apps I wanted in it. It would be more like an extension of the Dock without having to clutter the Dock.

12. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Federighi might be in charge of iOS (core technologies) but Ive is in charge of Human Interfaces across the board.

I'm confident.

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

You haven't, but MacRumors is full of posts from others proclaiming the doom of every [insert any Apple product of service here].

When Apple switched the processors from PPC to Intel, that was the doom of them (or the point where things start going downhill).

When iOS only supported web apps, that was the doom of them (or the point where things start going downhill).

When Apple switched from .Mac to MobileMe to iCloud, that was the doom of them (or the point where things start going downhill).

When iOS first got the AppStore, but Apple took a 30% cut, that was the doom of them (or the point where things start going downhill).

10 seconds after Steve Jobs died, that was the doom of them (or the point where things start going downhill).

And please don't pretend that every OS released by Bertrand Serlet had no issues/bugs, because it would take less than 10 minutes of using the search engine here to find posts from people that had way more issues with Panther, Tiger and Leopard than you did with any OS release after he left.

14. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

I actually prefer ML over SL. It's just as stable, and Safari is 1000 times faster.

All the iOS stuff people whinge about... you don't actually have to use any of it.

15. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

What's not to like? It's like your Applications folder only easier to access. Plus, you can reorganize it however you want without worrying about messing up software updates.

If you don't want to use it, it's completely out of the way.

I just stick apps that I don't use on the far right page. Never see them again. :)

My main complaint is that you can only move one app or folder at a time. But that's just a one-time problem.

16. kycophpd macrumors 6502a

kycophpd

Awesome to Scott Forstall on MacRumors creating threads!!!

17. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

Seeing how restricted ios is, it can only go uphill from here.

18. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

Thanks for your insight, Mr Fortune Teller.

Any other possible theories you'll like to add?

19. chrscap macrumors regular

Apple will remove the "i" from every device and replace with "a". Just because it makes more sense.

20. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Mountain Lion is pretty awesome to me sooooo I guess I look forward to what the next iOS will bring?

21. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

Oh so aPhone, apod Touch, aPad?

Sounds creepy. Maybe it's because not used to it.

22. dkersten macrumors 6502a

What do you mean "downhill from here". It was downhill from iOS 5 to iOS 6. iOS really does need a new feel to it, at least for me. I don't know how others feel about it

23. karter16 macrumors member

you have to eventually move with the times and accept that things won't always be like the "good old days"... yea features get added and features get removed, but you don't want to end up like those people who say "I hate how facebook keep changing things - it was way better the old way." I challenge all those people to go find a picture of facebook from 4 years ago and make sure they're still sure of that statement...

I think with technology people always have a fond memory of the first major step change they encountered and how wonderful it was that no further change can really live up to how amazing it seemed. The iPhone 4 was kinda like that for me. The 3G was cool, but I had always wanted Apple to make a phone with squarer sides - the iPhone 4 was perfect (in my eyes) it was exactly what I would have made had I had the chance. Now I have a 5, the 5 is a great technological improvement over the 4, but for me it will never live up to how I FELT about the 4. So although it's a massive improvement (again in my eyes) the 4 is always what has that fond memory..

I guess it's the same with anything really...

So yea, sometimes its important to recognise that, and that progress is ok - it doesn't invalidate your fond memories of what is now an out of date item...

anyway - enough rubbish from me :rolleyes:

24. chrscap macrumors regular

yeah,

a phone
    a pad
    a mac
    a OS

a= apple
    a is the first letter in the alphabet meaning Apple is #1

hahaha

25. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

You know, neither of them wrote all the code themselves.

It's unfair to say Craig Federighi personally introduced any of those bugs and to label anything he works on because of it.