iOS would have been so boring without JailBreak

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AlvinNguyen, Jul 26, 2011.

1. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

I'm using my iPad 2 and it's currently not currently jailbroken. I find the OS so boring without the jailbreak and thought of my iPhone without cydia - the thought itself scared me. Apple has excellent hardware and a clean OS - but without the jb the OS became stale and honestly, boring. Even with iOS5 we will continue to need cydia devs to continue contributing their time to make the platform more customizable.

2. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I feel that iOS is completely fine on its own.

I am currently jailbroken but if I didn't have it I would still be VERY happy with iOS.

The only thing I would miss most of all is the SNES, NES emulators w/ wiimote support :(

Jailbreaking is amazing though and I love the customization that it offers... just that I'm perfectly fine with the iPhone even if Apple found a way to block jailbreaking permanently.

3. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I have to disagree with OP.

As a developer, I currently have iOS 5 beta 4 stock and I can't quite explain it but there is something truly beautiful about this UI. It's refreshing with all of its new little tweaks.

Stale my ass. I love it.

4. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

I don't need my phone to be fun, I need to work. If I want to have fun I'll play a game. How does a UI make my phone less boring?

5. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

iOS5 didn't do nearly enough to refresh the UI. I have to agree with the OP, the day that they can no longer get a functional JB is the day I switch to another OS.

6. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

OP, there wouldn't have been any jailbreaking if Apple hadn't created the OS. I feel like Apple has been going after creating a user-friendly, solid, consistent, system rather than sensationalize it with different bells and whistles, hence why they were slow to bring Copy/Paste, Multi-tasking, Notification Center (iOS5), but when they did it, it really worked better than most other OS's.
    I've had an iPhone for 3 years now and never jailbroke it. iOS has always been enough for me, and I've appreciated the performance more than anything that jb could've added.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Sadly, I guess I am as well. I think the OP should actually be thanking Apple for iOS, considering none of the quality(?) jb apps out there would exist without it.

9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

agreed with the OP i will never go stock again

10. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

of course Apple is needed to make it all possible, but iOS+jailbreaking is better than iOS alone, your on this fourm alot so i know you know that a good amount of "how do i do this, and how do i do that threads" are answered by "well if your jailbroken you can get this tweak"

11. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Yes, but one could say that a lot of the new little tweaks were, ahem, "borrowed" from things that were first created in the jailbreak community.

12. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

13. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Yeah, but 'one' could also say that jailbreaking is, ahem, "unstable". I've literally watched the battery drain on a jailbroken iPhone. I've seen the phone's responsiveness and speed degrade over a few hours instead of a few months(over a stock iOS, especially on a 3GS). With pure iOS I don't have to worry about that. Never before jailbreaking have I had apps just crash/close on me while I'm trying to access them.

Or better yet, have my phone thrown into 'safe mode' while trying to use it like a normal user would.

So yeah. I'll keep my stock iOS. Have fun bridging that Android gap. I'm not really interested in it anymore.

14. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I don't disagree with you about stock iOS. I just think that Apple's new features owe a huge debt to the jailbreaking community.

15. yourmother macrumors regular

agree with the OP but my 3gs is on its last legs so I must go stock for battery life.

16. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I remember when the iPhone first came out and it had no App Store. We (the ones who were right) whined that there were no native apps to be ran on our (at the time) "smartphone".

Then Installer.app came out and some folks rejoiced that there was a way to run (super buggy) apps. Sometime later Apple got the hint and the App Store was revealed.

To this day there are still folks that believe on one hand Apple doesn't release a product until it is ready, yet knew Apple was going to create an App Store because that was their plan all along.

17. jonrando macrumors 6502a

I guess I am, too. D: I love iOS the way it is. I only jailbroke older devices to get the features of the newer software.

Atleast they are actually implementing them so those who already love the OS could love it even more. In addition, they want to give people reasons not to jailbreak by having jailbreak features already included in the stock OS.

18. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

Jailbreaking is a nice option and I'm sure it will continue and hope it does. There are many that want the kind of customization it offers.

I was Jailbroken since the initial v4 jailbreak last summer and recently removed it. While it was nice and there were programs I truly enjoyed like BiteSMS and SBSettings I found there was always something to maintain or take care of when Jailbroken. Therefore, I reverted to stock so I could back to the no time needed for maintenance which stock IOS affords me. This will always be one of the most appealing things of IOS, it just works and works well, folks like me that don't want to invest the time or like my wife that are not capable of doing the jailbreak will always appreciate the convenience of the IOS just working.

I wouldn't say it is boring it is intuitive and simple which cuts down on customizability. However, customizability and are willing to accept the time & overhead jail breaking entails.

Just my opinion.

19. FortMOney macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I didn't jailbreak mine for fun, I jailbroke it for features. Now, my phone is all but unusable without it. It's faster, both in speed and in time it takes to perform different functions (call, text, etc).

20. Cooolpenner macrumors regular

I wouldn't say, iOS is boring without jailbreak, but it's missing some nice features.
    In my opinion, iOS is great, but iOS with jailbreak is perfect ;)

21. Savor Suspended

Savor

This was more evident in the 1.x days. The first year of iPhone without the App Store was bland. No third-party apps in its vanilla form and many basic features like copy & paste and video recording were still missing back then. Back when we were using Installer and apps were mostly FREE. Then 4.0 came out and I stopped caring for it. JB scene was amazing in summer of 2008. The reason I got an iDevice in the first place was to jailbreak it. I always show gratitude to the dev community. Apple actually approached them for some of the newer changes. But as time goes on and iOS5 is adding stuff that has been available to the JB scene or in other platforms for years, it isn't a necessary to JB like it used to. People who never jailbroke it really can't appreciate it or miss it if they never tried it.

22. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

You also want to thank the jailbreak community. Without that we might not have some of the features we have now and coming in iOS 5.

23. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Define "boring".

I use the iPhone far more than even my laptop, and never find it boring. I even deleted all those themes and winterboard because they tend to slow it down after a while and i could care less about "customization". I do like the extra jailbreak features and keep them but that has nothing to do with customization.

Sounds to me all those who complain about "boring" spend more time staring at their home screens than actually using the content on the device. For all of you android is the perfect choice.

24. Zcott macrumors 68020

iOS gets out of the way when I need to do things on my iPad. That's the definition of good design.

25. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

This. Apple got inspirations from the jb community.