Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lobbyist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2008
Montreal, QC
Looks like the "Advanced" menu has disappeared in iOS10. Very annoying :mad:

I used to have OS language set to English and Region Format set to French. OS language now dictates everything.

It's a "new" feature I'm guessing :(

IMG_1843 (Mobile).PNG
IMG_1844 (Mobile).PNG

murgo

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
Germany
So you can't have your phone in English with German region settings anymore? This is mindblowing.. what the hell were they thinking? I will NEVER EVER set my phone language to German. Guess I won't be updating..

lobbyist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2008
Montreal, QC
Nope. In iOS10, the Advanced menu just isn't there anymore. Pretty much in line with Apple's obsession at over-simplifying everything ... I bet they just suddenly decided this menu was too complicated.

So you can't have your phone in English with German region settings anymore? This is mindblowing.. what the hell were they thinking? I will NEVER EVER set my phone language to German. Guess I won't be updating..

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Nope. In iOS10, the Advanced menu just isn't there anymore. Pretty much in line with Apple's obsession at over-simplifying everything ... I bet they just suddenly decided this menu was too complicated.
Or it's a bug of some sort.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Damn, this sucks.
Why they do this kind of things?
Hard to say, but unfortunately it sounds just like at least a handful of other previously existing and fairly straightforward features that didn't really need to be removed this seems to just another one that was removed for some reason, or perhaps no reason at all (or potentially due to some oversight/bug, which might mean it could be fixed at some point).

Last edited:
Reactions: andresro14

oMc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2010
Finland & France
My phone is in French and region settings in Finland and everything is fine, iOS is not forcing me to set my phone language in Finnish or my region settings in France, so I don't see the problem.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
My phone is in French and region settings in Finland and everything is fine, iOS is not forcing me to set my phone language in Finnish or my region settings in France, so I don't see the problem.
Was it like that before and just carried over? Can you change that to something else similar if you wanted to now with iOS 10?

yashz

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2015
USA
Looks like I still have the option in iOS 10 GM. Clean install a couple months ago.
4ff28a08414c47ac33932f9b77901d8d.jpg

oMc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2010
Finland & France
Was it like that before and just carried over? Can you change that to something else similar if you wanted to now with iOS 10?

Yes it was like this since iOS 9, I moved in Finland in February.

But I still can edit it the way I want, on iOS 10. Just changed region settings to France and then back to Finland, no problems. Then I changed phone language to English (US) and then back to French, no issues. I took a screenshot of my settings when the phone was in English.

Maybe it's because I have French, English and Suomi in my favorites languages as well as in my keyboards...?

IMG_0924.JPG

lobbyist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2008
Montreal, QC
Your region is Finland, but your date format is still in English, correct?

I can't change my date format back to French whilst still keeping the OS language in English.

Yes it was like this since iOS 9, I moved in Finland in February.

But I still can edit it the way I want, on iOS 10. Just changed region settings to France and then back to Finland, no problems. Then I changed phone language to English (US) and then back to French, no issues. I took a screenshot of my settings when the phone was in English.

Maybe it's because I have French, English and Suomi in my favorites languages as well as in my keyboards...?

View attachment 651220

oMc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2010
Finland & France
Your region is Finland, but your date format is still in English, correct?

I can't change my date format back to French whilst still keeping the OS language in English.

Yes my date format was changed in English. Look at the time on my screenshot, it's 12.14 AM. Now that I've switched back to French it's 12:44 AM (separator was a "." In English and is a ":" in French). And region was Finnish during the whole time.

oMc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2010
Finland & France
That's exactly my point. Look at my original post: I used to have the OS language in English and the region format in French. Now it can only be the same language for both!

I still don't understand why you can't have a regional setting in one country and a language for the phone totally different, while me and other (like one poster above in Denmark).

Please post a screenshot of your settings (in iOS 10).

lobbyist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2008
Montreal, QC
Do you agree that the language of the date format cannot be changed to something other than the language of the OS?

That's all I'm trying to say here. It wasn't like this before iOS10.

Yes my date format was changed in English. Look at the time on my screenshot, it's 12.14 AM. Now that I've switched back to French it's 12:44 AM (separator was a "." In English and is a ":" in French). And region was Finnish during the whole time.

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
e1dfa75b27fff410650effc831d60fbd.jpg

Totally fine here. English language, Czech regional format. On both my iPad and iPhone.

oMc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2010
Finland & France
Yeah, ok I get it. But it's a non issue for me as France and Finland have similar regional formats anyway. So that's why I haven't noticed anything special since iOS 10.

But yeah if your phone is set in English but you want to use a European regional format, it seems it's not possible.

lobbyist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2008
Montreal, QC
But it was definitely possible before.

Thank you. I hope everyone else who's been replying also finally does understand.

Yeah, ok I get it. But it's a non issue for me as France and Finland have similar regional formats anyway. So that's why I haven't noticed anything special since iOS 10.

But yeah if your phone is set in English but you want to use a European regional format, it seems it's not possible.

Reactions: stooovie

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
Ah! I get it. I didn't know that was even possible before. But do file a request with Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.