iOS10 remembers where you parked your car? ...

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by cmeisenzahl, Jul 22, 2016.

1. cmeisenzahl macrumors 6502

2. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Yes, seems to work well. It goes off of your car's Bluetooth connection. When your phone disconnects from your car, it records the location and there you have it.

3. cmeisenzahl thread starter macrumors 6502

What do you need to do to make it work? I haven't tried it yet.

4. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

It's one of the proactive features so as long as your car has Bluetooth and you've connected your iPhone to it, that's all. Your phone recognizes that you're connected to the car and when you exit the car and your phone loses connection, it automatically makes note of your car's location.

5. cmeisenzahl thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, interesting, thanks. So it kind of uses the BT connection as a proxy for knowing that you're in the car?

6. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Yep. That's how it worked in iOS 9 for location based reminders of "when you're in your car." Your phone doesn't actually know when you're getting in your car, it just assumes that if you've connected to your car's Bluetooth that you're driving somewhere.

7. Mcmeowmers macrumors 6502

Are you sure it's Bluetooth? My android tablet without a cellular or Bluetooth connection can remember when I park near wifi connections. I thought it inferred your speed and position changes to determine that you parked

8. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

Yes, it's done via Bluetooth. That way you described would far less accurate or reliable. With Bluetooth disconnecting from the cars Bluetooth is the easiest way to tell it "hey I've turned off my car because I parked." And doesn't have to rely on "nearby wifi" or guess if you stopping at a long red light is parking or not.

The only caveat is that the Bluetooth connection has to be a car manufacturer name/system and not just pair as "random stereo" or "audio device".

9. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I know it says it's done via BT, but I never connect via BT and it shows my car's location just fine. I always just plug in for CarPlay.

10. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

It's not surprising that it would also work via CarPlay. Considering that's Apple's own thing. And just as easy to assume the car is parked when you disconnect from CarPlay.