iOS11 - iPad Air - Split view/Slide over

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by Tery, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Tery macrumors newbie

Hi,

I can't make Split View Slide over to work since updating to iOS11.
    Am I the only one ?

Thanks.

2. yankeebobo macrumors regular

yankeebobo

No issues here. Drag app up. Then grab the side of the floating window and slide over

3. fjarl macrumors member

Have they removed the old way of just sliding things in from the right? Getting the dock, drag app to side of screen is super cumbersome in comparison. I just want to quickly flick in the last messages app I was using while browsing or what have you...

4. Max E Verde, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017

Max E Verde macrumors regular

Max E Verde

So if an app is not in your dock, you can’t slide it over? I hated the old UI for picking apps but at least you could pick whatever app you wanted. Hopefully a UI for picking an app from the home screen is just NYI.

Edit: okay, the last app you opened always appears in the dock it appears, but feels like too many steps. I would love to pull down on the side view and have a slightly miniaturized version of the home screen pop up to select an app.

5. MachCrit macrumors regular

MachCrit

Just open apps you want. Drag the dock into view. Your desired apps will be on the right side of the dock where they can be dragged into split view.

Inelegant, but beats scrolling through nine hundred and fifty two apps in iOS 10 method.

6. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

I had the same question as you. The solution is one of those duh moments:
    https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/multitasking-two-non-docked-apps.2053578/

7. Max E Verde macrumors regular

Max E Verde

Glad there’s a way :) Yeah obvious in retrospect

Edit: didn’t read your reply first, posted the same link

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Slideover no longer exists. You have to drag the app from the dock. It takes a little bit to get use to and is kind of a pain if you don't have that second app in the dock. Hopefully they will continue to tweak it.

9. Max E Verde, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017

Max E Verde macrumors regular

Max E Verde

Just discovered that you can drag an app on the home screen onto any other app. If they both support multitasking, you can create a split view this way.

Edit: More findings. You can also drag an app, then tap on the second app, which is much easier in folders than trying to fight the quick moving apps. If the app you are dragging from supports multitasking, but not the one your dragging to, you can create a slide over. Also, if you drag down from the top of a split view it will turn it into a slide over, which can then be moved to other apps.