iOS11 is actually running nicely on my Air 1...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by s2mikey, Sep 25, 2017.

1. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I was a little nervous to update my Air 1 to iOS11 but so far I have to say that Im pleasantly surprised at how well things are running right now. Im not a power user per se but I run a my fair share of big games and some productivity apps. So far, so good! Perofmance almost seems better in some ways versus 10.3.3.

Is this just me being naive or have other Air 1 oners found their device to run as good or better with iOS11?

Of course, I still want a 10.5" iPad Pro as an upgrade but this at least allows me to hold off for a *little* longer. :D

2. Beaky macrumors newbie

iOS 11 made my iPad Air 1st gen almost unusable - too much lag using Safari & when switching apps. I think 1GB of ram just isn't enough to run it. I've just downgraded back to iOS 10 - good to have my iPad working again.

3. gobikerider Suspended

gobikerider

Will you try again in iOS 11.1 ?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 27, 2017 ---
    That's nice, my new iPad was having very noticeable stuttering, even after a DFU Restore, so back to iOS 10 until they fix that. Not to mention multitasking in iOS 11 sorta bugs me as it's much more steps to split view an application. Am I the only one that liked picking from the list of all apps. Now it's limited to what's in the dock.

4. luckylisp macrumors 6502

Mine is running better as well!

5. imaccooper macrumors 6502

imaccooper

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Ive noticed a few apps having problems, but it is 2 specific apps that apparently aren't as well optimized as some. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with the update and I look forward to being able to hold off on that new pro for another 6 months or so...pending good black Friday sales of course. :)

6. bensisko macrumors 65816

Installed on my Mini 2 - in some cases it seems to run smoother than iOS 10, but in others it’s about on par.

7. Jaekae macrumors 6502a

Again lack of knowledge causing whining, you can start splitscreen from app list also, not only dock

8. gobikerider Suspended

gobikerider

Like what app list? That menu is non existent in iOS 11.

9. mpayne2202 macrumors newbie

My Air 1 seems to run better now. Also, my battery lasts longer and I am a very heavy user, thanks to Kindle ebooks.

10. Sunshoopa macrumors 6502

Sunshoopa

I’m not sure if you seen some comments on it before, but you can do any app on the home screen using one finger to hold the app icon, and the other to bring up the multitasking, then drag the app icon to the app you want to split with. You can even do spotlight apps with it.

11. gobikerider Suspended

gobikerider

Whattt dang why has no one talked about this before ??

12. baypharm macrumors 68000

baypharm

You would have thought Apple would have been in tune to this and not pushed it original Air users. Mine is working smoothly.

13. lugworm macrumors 6502

lugworm

My air1 is fine, apart from the awful looking keyboard.

14. SB-MBP Suspended

SB-MBP

You know, a lot of people are increasingly slating Apple these days. Even us fans. But there’s a lot to be said about the support they give their devices years into the future. It’s four years on since the iPad Air 1 and it’s fantastic to read your good experiences about it even today after 5 new iPad releases ahead of it. Who else supports their devices that long?! I for one appreciate it.

15. lugworm macrumors 6502

lugworm

I take it back. Performance has plummeted since the update. Everything lags, stutters, and wi-fi has slowed down to crawl.
    Piece of s*"t.

16. anthorumor macrumors 6502a

Thanks to this thread, I'll avoid iOS 11 on the iPad Air in the household with a ten-foot pole.

17. Frankfurt macrumors 6502

Frankfurt

Mine does not do well under iOS 11. Slow and sluggish. Takes ages to load safari pages or switch apps. Hope this gets better with 11.1

18. TheRealAlex macrumors 68000

2 Core 64-Bit the A7 is going strong.

19. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Lol, I still have my 16GB Air on iOS 9.3.5 (iOS 10 won't allow me to do Netflix and HBONow screenshots). I guess one advantage of having ~500MB free space, there's no space to download the iOS update ergo no nagging either. :p

20. lugworm macrumors 6502

lugworm

Wi-Fi won't connect at all now. Going to book an appointment at the apple store, see if they can sort it out. 11.0.1 has destroyed my air !!

21. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

Despite some animation hiccups and applications loading up a little slow, it is working just fine for me on my Mini 4 — not that much different (if at all) from iOS 10.

22. iOSUser7 macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

My old iPad Air 1 was already a pain in the ass to use on iOS 8, I can only imagine it getting worse with iOS 9/10/11.

Worst iPad I ever got. And yes I restored it multiple times, my device wasn’t faulty I was probably just used to my much faster iPhone 6s at that time.