General iOS11 location service icon on all the time

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by mlody, Sep 19, 2017.

1. mlody macrumors 6502a

Just after upgrading to iOS11, the first thing I noticed how the location services icon is always on. It usually is a hollow arrow, not the solid gray icon, but it is there all the time. Most of my apps are either never or while using it, so I am confused what else could be using my location? Has anyone noticed this issue yet?

Wanted to add, same problem on my iPad

2. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Have you checked your system services? Chances are it's one of those (like the location based alerts one or something like that).

3. TwitchyPuppy macrumors member

TwitchyPuppy

I have that even if all my apps are set to ‘While using’ so I close them when not needed and it solved it.

4. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Even if closing everything, nothing set to always, on both iPads (mini4, Pro12) and iPhone are now all showing this. :(
    The only item in purple is WiFi Networking. As I watch it goes to a purple outline then a few minutes later goes solid purple. Not sure why. (I’m sitting in my living room as it does this).

5. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

You might as well turn WiFi Network off (all it does is provide information about WiFi networks back to Apple).
    --- Post Merged, Sep 19, 2017 ---
    That usually doesn't result in a hollow location services arrow, unless the app is using some sort of background location alerts tracking.

6. RvXtm macrumors member

RvXtm

Do you have an apple watch by any chance ?
    For me on ios11 and watchOS 4 , i get the hollow location sign all the time as long as the watch is connected.
    If i turn off bluetooth (set watch on plane mode) the hollow location indicator is gone.

It comes from weather in my case (set to always)

7. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Did that on all devices and low and behold ... fixed.
    Thanks for the info. Was not aware that was the function of that item.

8. TRICKorDEVICE macrumors 6502a

I have this too. But I don’t want to turn stuff off. It never had that symbol before unless I was using geofencing. Is it really always going to be in because I have an Apple Watch?

That’s lame. If it’s always in then it tells me nothing.

9. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

Noticed the same since updating to iOS11 yesterday. I checked Location Services and it clearly belongs to Weather because it's the only hollow location services arrow.
    And normally System Services don't show in the Status Bar, you have to activate that setting manually (so these can't be the reason in most cases).

10. ttforever macrumors regular

Mines the same, if I change weather on my phone to only when using the app, the symbol disappears from my phone and watch, then only reappears as the full icon when the watch updates weather. Presume this is a bug with watch/phone combo!

11. panar macrumors member

This. And the Bluetooth icon seems to be connected (ie not gray) all the time.

12. capandjudy macrumors member

capandjudy

Noticed the Bluetooth icon issue immediately. I'm sure that it was known to Apple before the final release. It's certainly not a deal breaker in the sort term but still......!

13. Feenician macrumors 603

Feenician

I'm not sure it's a bug. I think it may be part of Apple's "stop micromanaging your radios" kick. I'd like to see if I'm actively connected to something too - I don't mind if continuity, pencil, airpods and watch don't activate it, since this are pretty core, but I'd like to see whether I'm actively connected to anything else.

Anyway, bug or not, they may revise it with enough feedback.

14. PCtoMAC1 macrumors 6502

PCtoMAC1

I can't get mine to turn off either. I've got the hollow arrow and I've searched everything.

15. TRICKorDEVICE macrumors 6502a

Well I’m glad it’s not just me. Any devs our there can you please file a bug report on this.

16. ck2875 macrumors 6502a

ck2875

Probably the difference of "Status Bar Icon" being On versus Off for the System Services location services. The default is Off for that, but it's possible the update turned that on for whatever reason.

Check Settings.app > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > (Scroll to bottom) Status Bar Icon

17. Hippiesrlame macrumors newbie

Hippiesrlame

I spent about 15 minutes this morning trying to figure out why weather was geofencing me. Tried turning location services off, rebooting, etc until I gave up and then found this thread. Glad I’m not going crazy.

18. imagineadam macrumors 65816

19. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

As marvz said above, if you keep weather on "always", you will get the hollow ring.

20. PCtoMAC1 macrumors 6502

PCtoMAC1

I'm not a developer, though I did submit a bug repot on apple.com.

21. RvXtm macrumors member

RvXtm

Question is, is the hollow location eating up battery?
    I see on watchOS4 also the hollow location icon.

I have a 7 plus , i have around 16 h standby and 3:50 hours usage -> 57% battery left

I left the weather location on always, so the hollow icon is there all the time.

22. PCtoMAC1 macrumors 6502

PCtoMAC1

Where can you find the location arrow on the watch?

23. RvXtm macrumors member

RvXtm

Just swipe up on the action center thing.
    You will get the hollow icon and the connection status

24. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

That's not the problem.

During the day it changed from being only the hollow Location Arrow too being more and more the normal "full" arrow. Anybody seeing the same behaviour? It's still the Weather App - if you turn Location Services for Weather to Never the arrow is gone.

25. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

I think it is a number of Apple core functions that are doing this. For me it was WiFi Networking. For others it is Weather. For others still something else. It cycles from solid purple to outline to solid to ... Does it eat battery? Don't know yet. I do know I am okay with 11 on my iPad Pro 12 v2. Not happy so far on my Mini 4 and 7+.

Will see how it goes.

btw - The location issue was apparent on all my devices. All had the same issues.