Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpn

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 9, 2003
updated my iPhone 6s to iOS13.0.
i think this is the best OS that i have ever used on this iPhone. ever.
really smooth. it all just works.
glad i decided to keep this iPhone until at least 2020 spring when the rumored iPhone 8 replacement might be out.
i am not having any of the problems some other posters seem to be having with their iPhones of various models.
can't wait till macOS Catalina comes out for even more integration between macOS/iOS.
i was devoted to 3D Touch but iOS13's Long Press is absolutely the same.
no problems with Mail (i use gmail only within its own gmail app, since integration within Mail was always a problem since forever). all my Mail accounts (4 of them) work fine.

Reactions: Project Alice

Lz0

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2002
Melbourne
I updated my 6s to iOS13 and I'm wishing I didn't.

I've had my 6s from the time it was released and as you all should remember there was problems with the battery's in the 6s's and in my case the battery lasted about 24 months, so I had it replaced, and yes the Apple battery app doesn't tell me much about the battery's health.

That battery was not showing any signs of degradation this morning when I updated to iOS13.

10 minutes in the News app and I'm down from 100% to 79%.

With only a tiny bit of patience I can watch the battery percentage indicator ticking down.

I do hope iOS13.1 improves things.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
The iPhone 8 replacements was the iPhone XR last year. I wouldn’t hold my breath for another iPhone with that form factor

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
3D Touch old UI and UX was better in iOS 12. Now if looks and feel as if I was on Android. Why did they shrink it down so much? And what is the purpose of "rearrange apps" button? You can just hold for the jiggle.

Lz0

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2002
Melbourne
I am wondering if this was due to something else. I updated and it seems ok

Due to something else. Yer! Well unlike the two replies to this thread below who obviously were replying to a different thread, I couldn't understand what Due to something else could possibly mean.

UNTILL

I spent a little time in the News app and checking out the new iOS13 and watching the battery depletion when at 59% I received a phone call. 20 minutes later after the call ended the battery was at 65%.

WTF!!!

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Fluctuating battery status like that (if persistent) is a sign of a battery needing replacement. That happened in previous iOS versions too. It’s not new in iOS 13.

carrodan

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
Washington, DC
The battery performance on my 6s is also terrible since updating. I have it plugged into the charger, not using it, low power mode on, and the battery is often still going down. Battery health is 89% and I've been keeping close track of battery performance b/c it has been pretty poor for a while (3rd battery on this iPhone, all replacements done by apple), but it is noticeably and significantly worse since updating.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
The battery performance on my 6s is also terrible since updating. I have it plugged into the charger, not using it, and the battery is often still going down. Battery health is 89% and I've been keeping close track of battery performance b/c it has been pretty poor for a while (3rd battery on this iPhone, all replacements done by apple), but it is noticeably and significantly worse since updating.
On my 7 Plus, battery performance on iOS 13 is similar to iOS 12.

However, its battery health is 98%, with normal peak performance.

Reactions: white4s

supergt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2019
If you are unhappy with 13, you can still downgrade back to 12.4.1 while it’s signed by Apple. If trends hold you can do this until early October.

Reactions: EugW

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
6s working very well on iOS 13 here. I think my battery is slightly better than 12.4.1 which I did not like at all.

Reactions: jpn

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I updated my 6s to iOS13 and I'm wishing I didn't.

I've had my 6s from the time it was released and as you all should remember there was problems with the battery's in the 6s's and in my case the battery lasted about 24 months, so I had it replaced, and yes the Apple battery app doesn't tell me much about the battery's health.

That battery was not showing any signs of degradation this morning when I updated to iOS13.

10 minutes in the News app and I'm down from 100% to 79%.

With only a tiny bit of patience I can watch the battery percentage indicator ticking down.

I do hope iOS13.1 improves things.
Due to something else. Yer! Well unlike the two replies to this thread below who obviously were replying to a different thread, I couldn't understand what Due to something else could possibly mean.

UNTILL

I spent a little time in the News app and checking out the new iOS13 and watching the battery depletion when at 59% I received a phone call. 20 minutes later after the call ended the battery was at 65%.

WTF!!!
The battery performance on my 6s is also terrible since updating. I have it plugged into the charger, not using it, low power mode on, and the battery is often still going down. Battery health is 89% and I've been keeping close track of battery performance b/c it has been pretty poor for a while (3rd battery on this iPhone, all replacements done by apple), but it is noticeably and significantly worse since updating.
Just letting you know, you shouldn't judge the battery performance straight after installing the update. There are background processes/house keeping/organizing and such which can cause increased battery drain.

That isn't to say there wasn't a change, but it's possible this could be the cause.

Reactions: ksec and jpn

jole26

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2018
My 6s has yet to get the update. Still tells me 12.4 is up to date.

Am I going to have to use itunes rather than ota?

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Just letting you know, you shouldn't judge the battery performance straight after installing the update. There are background processes/house keeping/organizing and such which can cause increased battery drain.

That isn't to say there wasn't a change, but it's possible this could be the cause.

3 days after installing GM, my iPhone 7 with just replaced battery from Apple Store, has terrible battery life. 20% drop from 100% (fully charged around 8) in 1.5 hours. 40% around noon and completely empty around 2.

SteveManila1960

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2019
London
My 6s always has quite bad battery drain after an update and not just a significant one like 12 to 13. Lasts for up to a week then settles down. Paddle1 I agree with your comments. Plus check your settings, why do Apple always assume I want Bluetooth switched on with an update? I rarely ever use Bluetooth.

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
updated my iPhone 6s to iOS13.0.
i think this is the best OS that i have ever used on this iPhone. ever.
really smooth. it all just works.
glad i decided to keep this iPhone until at least 2020 spring when the rumored iPhone 8 replacement might be out.
i am not having any of the problems some other posters seem to be having with their iPhones of various models.
can't wait till macOS Catalina comes out for even more integration between macOS/iOS.
i was devoted to 3D Touch but iOS13's Long Press is absolutely the same.
no problems with Mail (i use gmail only within its own gmail app, since integration within Mail was always a problem since forever). all my Mail accounts (4 of them) work fine.
Same here with 6s ......same reminders bugs etc. as others....photos took about 8hrs to do its thing but otherwise great update so far.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
And what is the purpose of "rearrange apps" button? You can just hold for the jiggle.
Because of the long-press gesture, holding your apps for wiggle mode takes a lot longer and it's convenient to have a button right there, instead of holding for a longer amount of time.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Something is off with battery life on my SE on iOS13. It’s draining faster, but at the same time it’s said I’m at 1% for the past 30+ minutes which doesn’t seem possible. Guess I’ll drain it and recharge to 100% to see if it makes a difference. If not, I’m sure 13.1 will resolve it. At least I hope so.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Update: well, now it’s been over an hour, maybe close to an hour and a half of using my SE pretty heavily on “1%” ? I guess it’s definitely a glitch with the battery percentage meter and not my phone’s battery actually draining, which is nice to know

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
3 days after installing GM, my iPhone 7 with just replaced battery from Apple Store, has terrible battery life. 20% drop from 100% (fully charged around 8) in 1.5 hours. 40% around noon and completely empty around 2.

It may take longer than that. ( In some cases up to a week ) It is basically redoing every single File Index, Photos Facial Recognition, Mail Box, and all sort of other things in the background.

It is the reason why some people complain about iPhone getting super hot while charging after an update.

I just wish this process could be doubt with in a better manner than it is now which is very much just brute force.

It is also problematic in older phones with ageing batteries, where Your Phone is using more power than your charger / Battery can provide.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.