iOS4.2 Beta time limited?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by icecavern, Oct 29, 2010.

1. icecavern macrumors regular

An interesting one...

Yes I am a developer in the program so I officially have iOS4.2, anyway...

My iPad is running 4.2b2 and is now showing the connect to iTunes screen. It switched on this morning, but at 8am this morning it stopped and now just displays the screen. Interestingly though I can still hear it "pinging" every 30 mins to say I have new email. So the iPad is running behind the screen fine I'd guess.

Pete

2. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I'm still running b2, and everything is ok with me.

I take that back, mine has just went into 'connect to iTunes' mode whilst I was browsing! :eek:

3. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

Seems like Beta 2 was set to expire October 29th at midnight. I wasn't able to sync or back up after I got the screen, so I just restored back to Beta 3. Hope everyone has a recent backup!

4. yegon macrumors 68020

5. Zcott macrumors 68020

6. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

Affected me this morning, too. Very frustrating. I wish they'd set an expiry date after the official launch of iOS 4.2. Maybe they assumed it would be out by now. The betas are quite large downloads to keep updating to each week. :rolleyes:

7. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

Same here. It's very annoying. Once again it proves iPad is not a standalone device. If I was traveling I'd be so dead.

8. pugnut macrumors 6502a

Ok so you put a beta, on your device and you count that as a limitation of the iPad? A few facts. AAPL has real developers working so they will never let it die on the vine with a new one. The pattern here is now that this will be GM soon.

9. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

No, the limitation is that I put a beta on my device, and without any warning I can not use my iPad anymore. You can't deny iPad isn't a standalone device like Nexus One or Galaxy S pad. These devices don't need to be hooked up to a computer to be updated (or in my case, to be merely functional).

10. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

These Beta's are for testing the Apps you've written. Apple warns you not to install it on a device that is used for any other purpose. You should be testing your Apps on Beta 3 by now anyway, it's been out for a couple weeks. Testing on Beta 2 is silly.

Quote from iOS front page:
    It might have been nice for them to toss up a "This Beta Expires in 24 hours" warning. That said, it's a little harsh to critique the iPad in this case, don't you think? It doesn't have anything to do with the device itself. Just how the Beta is setup.

11. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

If you are running Beta 3, and that expires in the next couple of weeks, can you just restore BACK to beta 3 again? Just start it over in a sense?

12. icecavern thread starter macrumors regular

No I suspect it's date limited, with other sorts of protection against resetting the dates etc.

13. drewc1138 macrumors 6502

Yeah, that's what I was grumbling this morning as I was frantically trying install Beta 3 before I walked out the door.

14. yegon macrumors 68020

I know, ran it since day 1, but Im curious when it expires. So, any guesses anyone? Another couple of weeks?

15. shamus1976 macrumors newbie

My ipad shut down around 1:30am and demanded itunes love. This was fine and all but then i had to wait for itunes to attempt resync and fail a few times before I realized what happened.

I ended up leeching the beta3 off a cheezy download link cause it was 2:30am and i couldn't bug my friend for the download.

It looks like it's installing fine now I just have to wait for all of the music and photos. I need to get this thing on firewire.

16. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

I've got no idea when Beta 3 will expire; however unless Apple really screw up the expiry date will be after the release date of the next beta/GM. If you update to the next beta as soon as it is available I doubt you'll have a problem.

17. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I'm still running Beta 1 -- waiting for Beta 4 before updating.

18. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

And I bricked my iPad. Upgrade (not restore) Beta 3 and got a bunch of errors. And of course I can't downgrade to 3.2.2.

19. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

I had been running Beta 1 on my touch until two nights ago.
    Maybe only the iPad builds are set to expire

20. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

Same here.. any idea why ours haven't expired? I don't connect to itunes.. waiting for jailbreak to back up my app data with something reliable like appbackup.

21. Ksane macrumors regular

3.2.2 is the latest official firmware.....why can't you do a full restore to it?
    Everyone always says their iPads are "bricked" and out of the hundreds of times I've heard that it's not been true. They just didn't know how to restore.

22. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

There was an error 1015. It's a common error that Apple prevents downgrade to older versions. But anyway I've restored it to 3.2.2 after dl some third-party files and back to beta 3! :D

23. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Interesting....

My iPad has iOS 4.2 beta 2 (yes, 2!) and it still works fine or at least the same as it has been. FYI, I am not an app developer and I did the 'shift-UPDATE' to install iOS4.2b2.

24. mye macrumors newbie

Conversely, I have 4.2 beta 3 (yes, I'm certain), and received the expired message that's turned my iPad into a useless brick. (I don't want to go back to 3.2.2. :()

Edit: 2 restores, triple-checking file name to make sure I'm not crazy (it wasbeta 3), restarting iTunes once, and it works now. That was so weird.

25. Ksane macrumors regular

I rest my case. Your iPad wasn't 'bricked', was it?
    ;-)
    (Sorry, couldn't resist)