iOS4.2 Beta vs jailbroken iOS 3.2 on iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by globality, Sep 16, 2010.

1. globality macrumors member

Just upgraded iOS 4.2 Beta 1 on my iPad last night. I was using jailbroken iOS 3.2 before. Here are some of my comparison:

1) Multitasking: In general I like iOS 4.2 better than Backgrounder+Circuitous. One reason is that I never get Skype working in the background before. Now I can use skype while at the same time browsing the web etc. And my feeling is that the iOS 4.2's background mechanism consumes far less power.

However, I do miss part of the backgrounder that you can customize each individual app to control whether they will run back-end or not. In iOS 4.2, you always see lots of icons for last running apps and it looks cluttered after a while, and you would need to remove some of the apps from the list,which is quite painful. For me I think only a small number of apps really need to be running in the background all the time.

2)Folders: iOS 4.2 is better than Categories and CategoriesSB IMHO. Adding apps to and removing from the folder is much easier. You can also easily distinguish folders and regulars apps though icons.

3) I miss SBsettings a lot! I miss Activator a lot! I am not used to using Home button now... Previously I always double click the status bar to go back to home screen, and use a slide gesture to switch among apps.
    I miss FullForce for a few iphone apps I have. Hopefully these apps can come back soon when iOS 4.2 can be jailbroken...

Any other thoughts?

2. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the write up.

I'm dying to try 4.2 on my iPad -- do you have a dev account or can you direct me to the person who added your UDID?

3. PirateP macrumors 6502

PirateP

I just sent you a PM with a link where you can find someone to add your UDID for a couple of bucks.

4. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

I'm on 4.2 beta on iPad as well... does jailbreakme.com work on 4.2 beta? I went to the site in safari and am prompted with the "slide to jailbreak", instead of the "version too new" error message that normally appeared on my 3.2.2 iPad.

I don't want to slide to F%!#% myself and am wondering if this actually works. Thanks.

5. gazzer82 macrumors regular

Unfortunatly not, the PDF exploit that is used by Jailbreakme has been closed in 4.2, that said i doubt you will come to any harm by trying it.

6. AppelGek macrumors member

on Twitter try this guy @n00neimp0rtant, or the one i got mine from (for iPhone 4 but he has a iPad i believe) @SirTrott, both give/gave them for free.

(if you try @SirTrott, tell him Appleblogz suggested him to you..)

g'luck.

7. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

it won't work.

There won't be a JB for 4.2 until the GM is release, (it doesn't make sense to release JB for beta firmware), so that points to sometime in Nov

8. globality thread starter macrumors member

Current Beta 1 looks quite amazing! Don't find many bugs. So I believe the GM will be released sometime in October, maybe late October.

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You don't understand, it is not just about bugs, there are contracts and agreements, Carrier need no less than 60 days to test new firmware, Apple cannot released anything before early Nov, special Developers (like EPic Games for example) also need time to have theirs app ready, hardware manufacture also need time to release and manufacture Airplay ready equipment, Steve already said NOv as release date.

The best it can happen is early NOV, but i doubt it, it will be late Nov

10. globality thread starter macrumors member

That makes sense. Thanks for the heads up!

11. Iceage macrumors 6502

What do you do once you get an invitation? I'm new at this ... Tks.

12. saberahul macrumors 68040

No problem. You're welcome.

13. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I just made the switch as well. It's extremely buggy but is pretty sweet can't wait til nov!

14. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

Such valuable feedback.

It's not buggy - I don't know what you're doing wrong.

15. oli356 macrumors 6502

Well backgrounder is so much better than apples way. Like I can be on yourtube or mixtube, have a video on. Then enable backgrounder and go play in safari while I listen to the video

16. Iceage macrumors 6502

How do you get the print feature and air play to work? Tks.

17. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I don't know about airplay but printing will only work if you upgrade to OS X 10.6.5 beta, which you have to get from someone with a dev account.

18. LinMac macrumors 65816

I am a registered developer who is writing software for the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch. I've yet to test the beta software on my iPad because it desperately needs to be jailbroken. I can't imagine trying to use an iPad without Backgrounder, My3G, or MyWi.

19. vladzaharia macrumors regular

Uhh... Where the hell are you getting this ******** about contracts? There is no such thing. OSes are released without a 60 day period all the time. Furthermore, high-profile developers always have access to earlier releases before the rest of the program.

20. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

I'd love to stick it on, but then i'd lose iTether on my 3.2 jailbroken iPad, which I use on and off, but it's very handy.

AirPrint doesn't yet support my printer (Canon) (or maybe Canon doesn't support AirPrint yet.. )

I can live without multitasking for the moment and apart from that... not much else tempts me...

21. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Carrires system testing ALWAYS get 60 days to test new baseband firmware. they need to make sure the changes wont bring down or stress the network, every company that develop devices that use public wireless have to comply with this standars. I am not sure where the hell are you getting your nonsense about they releasing OSs all the time without the 60 days test.

regardless of what you believe or not, 4.2 won't be here anytime before Nov.

22. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

So there's absolutely no way to have 4.2 & it be JB?

No way?

I'm dying for folders but need some JB stuff.

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Nope, no way. Just think about it, if a jailbreak for a beta firmware is released, Apple can just patch it before releasing the official version.

24. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

no i know, i know.......

guess i was just hoping to hear a faint yes.

:p

looks like i'll be waiting till nov. :(