ios4.2. Will i be able to stream video TO my iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Modular1, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Modular1 macrumors newbie

Modular1

will airplay be allow me to stream video from my main library to my ipad? if not i think its going to be a bit of a disappointment. It will have a lot less functionality that i will actually use.:(

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

You can already stream video from your Mac to your iPad. Check out Air Video.

3. shandyman Suspended

nope

at least not yet, its just streaming to airport express and apple tv only for now.

4. Modular1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Modular1

i find myself a lot less excited about it now. will probably find that this doesnt even work with the old apple tv lol. then there will actually be no features that i cant already use.

5. poloponies macrumors 68030

Don't ask questions if you're unwilling to read answers.

Air Video allows streaming your content from your computer to the iPad, either at home or over the Internet. It's been available sine the iPad was released. Just because it's not part of Airplay's functionality doesn't make Airplay or the iPad useless.

6. shandyman Suspended

as far as i am aware, the old apple tv won't steam video from iOS devices, think it was said officially somewhere, but can't find it now.

7. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I would imagine the iPad will get iTunes Home Sharing at some point that would do what you want. Until then, use Air Video.

8. Modular1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Modular1

Unwillingness to read answers? jeez. gimme a chance to look it up... id never heard of airvideo. and yes it does look quite good. But still, it doesnt mean that apple own airplay is any less of a disappointment in this regard. And that was my initial point.

9. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

Yeah, I'm disappointed in this as well. I thought I would be able to AirPlay from iTunes to my iPad. I do have AirViedo and it works fine but it won't do DRM stuff which I do buy from iTunes. I guess I'll just stop buying form iTunes and Handbrake from elsewhere. Pretty stupid on Apples part to make me wanna buy elsewhere and not stream to their own iOS devices. Oh well, maybe they'll add it later. Until then....well you know.

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

1) Kind of a cop out since the Air Video suggestion was the 1st response in this thread. You had all the time in the world to take a look at it before responding. You chose not to go that route.

2) Airplay solves an issue w/ the iPad by allowing people to stream video TO their big screens. I don't see how anyone could be disappointed w/ this added functionality -- maybe unexcited but how could new features sadden anyone? It's not like the AirPlay feature was hyped and Apple over promised and under delivered -- at least not yet.

If your desire is to stream video to your iPad that functionality already exists, so really almost everyone wins with the addition of AirPlay. The only thing missing is the ability to stream video to a big screen that doesn't originate from the Videos.app like HuluPlus.

11. NYs FURY macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if I'll be able to stream comcast xfinitey from my MacBook pro to my ATV2 and iPad via airplay or air video.

12. DotCom2, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010

DotCom2 macrumors 68030

Could you please show me how one can stream *legally* purchased content in iTunes to the iPad?
    You can't.
    Count me as one of the unexcited.

EDIT: Legally purchased *video* content I should have said.

13. ad2435 macrumors member

i'll be very disappointed if i cannot stream itunes content from itunes to iphone/ipad with home sharing (like i can stream to apple tv2).

this should be standard basic functionality between apple products.

14. Phil A., Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010

Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I think you're going to be disappointed then - you won't be able stream to 1st Gen ATVs using AirPlay

If you want to stream purchased iTunes videos to your iPad you can't use Air Video as it doesn't work with protected content. However, there is a solution that works if you have your iTunes library on a Mac:
    Create a link to your iTunes media folder in /Library/WebServer/Documents (e.g. ln -s /Users/me/Music /Library/WebServer/Documents/media, turn on Web Sharing and then browse to http://mac/media on your iPad. It will show a list of your media and clicking on a title will stream it to your iPad.
    It's not as elegant as AirPlay but it works pretty well and will work with DRM content