iOS4.3 Personal Hotspot in Canada

Discussion in 'iPad' started by quigleybc, Mar 2, 2011.

1. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Figured I might as well start a thread. For those of you in Canada (like me)

what are your thoughts on the Personal HotSpot option?

Do you think it will even BE an option up here? I can tether right now using Rogers service. But, to be able to turn my iPhone 4 into a hotspot is REALLY appealing for my iPad...

thoughts?

info?

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

It works as part of your tethering package. If your carrier supports bluetooth/USB tethering then it'll automatically support wifi tethering.

3. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

I agree with Zcott. The Canadian carriers accepted tethering right away and I believe they will just see this as another way to tether. People whose packages have tethering will also have hotspot.

4. Saberon, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  5. iPhonic macrumors newbie

iPhonic

Is this automatic or do you need to have something else added to your plan as i am with Rogers and have the 6GB package as well ?

6. Saberon macrumors 6502a

As long as you have at least 1GB of data, rogers *should* have tethering of any kind enabled for you. If you can plug your iPhone into a computer and tether with the cable now, then you can do it with WiFi in 4.3

7. delacruzjeff macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

does your iPhone gets hot when using the personal hotspot? Also can you use the personal hotspot even if the iPhone goes to sleep?

8. slicecom macrumors 68020

I've been using it for a week now on Rogers. 6GB plan. No issues whatsoever. Works flawlessly with my iPad and iMac. No it doesn't get hot, and yes you can use it when the phone is asleep. In fact you can just leave the wireless hotspot on in the background. The blue bar won't appear until a device connects to the network. The battery lasts surprisingly long with it on.