iOS4 apps on a iPod Touch 2G

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by peterb69, Jul 2, 2010.

1. peterb69 macrumors member

I have an iPod Touch 2nd gen, that I did update to iOS3 awhile back. But I have no plans to update it to iOS4.

But many of my current apps have notification that there is a new version that is iOS4 tested.

Should I update my apps? Or should I ignore the notifications because they might give me poor performance with a 2nd gen running iOS3?

Thanks

2. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

Most of the updated apps I've come across so far have few changes; mainly multitasking support, compatibility/bug fixes, and iAds. Some have updated graphics to take advantage of the iPhone's new display.

It's always a smart idea to take note of what changes are made, and to keep a copy of the old version just in case. Just rescue them after iTunes moves them into the Trash.

You'll more than likely be ok with apps that are iOS 4 tested.

The problems will come when apps require iOS 4, and support for 3.x wanes. At that point, an upgrade of either software or hardware will be required if you want to use the latest apps.

How soon that occurs depends on how quickly developers take advantage of the new features in iOS4 and the newer hardware.