iOS4 dogging my 3G - ideas

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Niko03, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Niko03 macrumors regular

I have a 3G and will be upgrading to the iP4 sometime. (I want to see the white in person before deciding).

In the meantime my problem is I upgraded my 3G to iOS4 and it's made it a complete dog. Sluggish as hell.:(

Anyway to drop it back to 3.1.2, (I believe that's the previous OS) fairly easily?

Thanks for your input.

2. jakeacc macrumors regular

I don't think there is a way to go back to iOS3. I have a 3G too and iOS4 is crippling my phone.

Whenever Apple releases a major iOS firmware upgrade (2.0, 3.0, 4.0), they are aimed for the most current iPhone model. This usually results in older iPhone models with bug issues. Usually a month later, they will release a .1 update that fixes these problems for older phones. So expect iOS 4.1 this summer to fix your 3G. But by that time, you'll probably have upgraded to iPhone4.

If you haven't done so already, do a hard reset. (hold the home button and the screen button down until the phone shuts off and the Apple logo is displayed) This seemed to help me a little.

3. yelnref macrumors member

There is a way to downgrade again. I've read it on these forums recently. Can't remember where, sorry. Just search for 3G + iOS4 + slow and you'll find it (that's how I did).

But, before you do that, did you set up as a new phone or restore from a backup? I did the latter as I couldn't be bothered to redo all my apps, music, etc and my 3G was laggy as hell. 7 secs just for settings to open.

I've since set up as new and it works great now. PITA but worth it.

4. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Wipe it clean. When I upgraded my 3G I didn't restore from backup. I set it up as a new phone. Worked great.

5. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Same here. Do a fresh install, it works great.

6. bhattsan macrumors member

I would restore it as new. Made my 3g fly in iOS4. As for going back to 3.1.3, I think you cannot do that unless you jailbroke your phone and saved your shsh blob with saurik's server. If you didn't do that, I'm afraid you're stuck with iOS4 :(

7. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

my iPhone 3G was also slow on iOS 4, did a fresh install 3 times. There is a way to downgrade to 3.1.3:

1. Download 3.1.3 firmware on the internet.
    2. Turn iPhone 3G into DFU mode (google on how to do it if you dont know)
    3. In itunes, hold shift and press restore, navigate to 3.1.3 that you downloaded.
    4. Let iTunes restore to 3.1.3. You will get an error 1015 after its finished.
    5. Download and open RecBoot, it needs libusb to work. Again google for how to install libusb if you dont know how.
    6. Open recboot and press Exit Recovery button.
    7. iPhone will be kicked out of Recovery Mode and youre back on 3.1.3.

8. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Does recboot restore the proper baseband for 3.1.3? Users that downgraded from the 4.0 betas has issues because of this.

9. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

no recboot does not change anything it merely forces the iPhone out of the state of stuck recovery. baseband is same as iOS 4.0

10. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

If i do that i'll lose all texts, notes, calendar items (not synced with a cal), apps (reinstall obvi), and app data?

11. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Are those things more important to you than a working phone?

12. brightlights macrumors regular

FYI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogging_(sexual_slang)

Dogging is a British euphemism for engaging in sexual acts in a semi-public place (typically a secluded car in a car park) and then watching others doing so. Frequently, there are more than two participants; both group sex and gang banging can be included. As observation is encouraged, voyeurism and exhibitionism are closely associated with dogging. The two sets of people involved often meet either randomly or (increasingly) arrange to meet-up beforehand over the Internet.

Therefore, LOL.

13. JonB3Z macrumors 6502

+1

14. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

Hmm I'm not sure, is the improvement defiantly noteable? Is there anything else I'll lose that I'm not expecting?

15. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Never used mine w/ 4.0 w/o wiping so I can't say. But I would say my experience compared to what you're describing is much different.

16. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your reply, is there anyway I can grab the location where my notes/camera roll pics/texts are stored and 'inadvertantly' restore them after i clean install?

17. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Camera roll is easy, connect to PC, browse iPhone, copy, paste.

Notes, if you can, sync them with Outlook.

Texts, there are ways to do it if you jailbreak. Also, I think there are programs that do it...but I think most of them charge for the abililty. I've never done it. Honestly...do you really need those texts?

18. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

I guess not lol, it's just cool to have two years worth of texts with countless people. Would be pretty neat to go back and see what I talked about with someone 2 years ago.

But I'll look into it, thanks for the info.

19. rtztgue macrumors regular

Can anyone tell me what you gain by putting ios4 on a 3g? I have two 3g and I am holding back on installing ios4 because of the reported slowdown.

My understanding is that you do not get voice control, compass, or a lot of other neat things. Is there a list of things that ios4 adds to a 3g?