iOS4 Email Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wayland1985, Jun 21, 2010.

1. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

In iOS 4, I have a GMAIL and MobileMe account set up (trial mobile me account).

In the Gmail inbox, when you swipe left to right across a message, a button appears saying "ARCHIVE".

Do the same in the MobileMe account, and it says "DELETE"... Why is this?

2. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

does the "mail app" change to gmail? I saw a picture of it and wasn't sure if it changes

3. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not sure I follow what you mean?

The question I have seems to treat GMAIL differently. Although my GMAIL APPs account doesn't retain this behavior...

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

G-Mail doesn't have a 'delete' function by default. It just moves things from the in-box to the archive folder.

Did you set up your G-Mail on your phone by picking the "G-Mail" option? Don't do it that way. (Yeah, crazy, I know.)

Set it up by picking "other" and following these directions:

https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=77702

If you do it that way I think you'll get the 'delete' option exactly like you do with Mobile Me.

5. jfrancis04 macrumors 6502a

Same exact problem here. Let me know if you figure it out.

6. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

That makes sense. I don't mind the archive button. In fact it makes me think twice about signing up with MobileMe when I'm done.

I tend to delete messages to keep my inbox clean, but I tend to go back and use them again...

I think MobileMe kills messages off after 2 months?

Strange the Mail.app doesn't recognize the Google Apps account as a gmail account.

7. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

sorry, I was using your thread since it's about mail, to ask a question lol.

i mean't does the mail icon change to a gmail icon? look at this link
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/21/ios-4-apps-the-best-of-whats-new-and-updated/

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yeah, you need to have some kind of system. I leave my computer running at home with rule in the Mail program. EVERYTHING that comes in gets a copy saved on the hard drive.

So I'm pretty free with the 'delete' button in my In-Box. I always know I can get it later at home if I really screw something up.

9. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

That is GMail's Safari/iOS icon. If you go to your gmail and add a bookmark of it to the home screen, that's the icon that shows. The Apple Mail icon does not change based on your email provider.

WRONG. MobileMe does not kill mail, except for messages in the Trash or Spam folders - the same as GMail, Hotmail, Yahoo, and every other email provider.

10. mrtune macrumors 6502a

If you are using gmail through imap, just go into your mail settings and you can change it to delete instead of archiving. By default it archives. Nice little option they added.

[​IMG]

11. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry. Poor wording on my part. That's what I meant.

I'm just used to messages on Gmail being removed from the inbox when you hit "DELETE", and being retained in All-Mail.

Small White Car, I'll be sending a PM about MobileMe.

Thanks again guys for the help!

12. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Gmail is the only email provider that I know of that even has archiving capabilities. If that's what you want, then instead of deleting stuff, just create a folder called archive and move stuff there.