Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
No, I'm not talking about the 12-app per folder limit. I'm talking about how I now need an extra step to get back to the home screen because, if I start an app from inside a folder, then when I'm done with the app, I press the home button, and I go back to the home screen -- but that folder is still open! I have to push the home button *another time* or tap somewhere on the screen to close the folder and *really* get back to the home screen. I searched both google and MRoogle, but didn't see anybody else complaining about this. Am I the only one who find this annoying?

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I am on the fence with that feature. At first I thought it was annoying but then I thought it can be helpful depending on how I organize the folders.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
It actually annoyed me a little at first too, but I've come to like it. Like nwcs said, it can be helpful if your folders are organized in a certain way.

protobiont

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
What have we come to? If it did take you right back to the home screen, someone else would complain that they have to re-open the folder to get to another app in that folder.

There's an oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico and people are still suffering in Haiti.

All harassment aside, I suppose more customization options would be a good thing.

Nevrsadie

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2006
Dark side of the monitor
I like the fact that the folder stays open after the app closes. When I was using my jailbroken 3GS with categories it annoyed me that I had to reopen the folder after I closed the app. Besides it's only 1 click more than normal.

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
Going from 6+ pages of apps to 2 pages total is way more worth it than a single extra button click to exit a folder. Much easier to find my apps, this way. Especially if you name your folders well so you can find stuff by category.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Going from 6+ pages of apps to 2 pages total is way more worth it than a single extra button click to exit a folder. Much easier to find my apps, this way. Especially if you name your folders well so you can find stuff by category.

Yeah. I'm probably adding 30 extra 'clicks' per day, but I'm saving 100 swipes. That feels like a good trade.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
It actually annoyed me a little at first too, but I've come to like it. Like nwcs said, it can be helpful if your folders are organized in a certain way.

But how exactly would you organize your folder so that the default-open feature will be helpful? The only way I can think of is to make a "favorite apps" type of folder, but that seems redundant considering that the taskbar contains your most recently used apps. To me, it seems that when you want to go back to the home screen, chances are you want to go back to the home screen, not to some random folder you opened a while ago and don't even remember having opened, as happens if you've been swapping apps through the taskbar.

Yes, a rather minor annoyance in the big scheme of things, but I just wondered if this is another point where I just don't think like Apple -- tried using OSX but ended up happily using win7 :p -- or if other users also find this as annoying as I do.

Also, I've been jailbroken, so I've almost never had to swipe -- I've always used Categories to keep my apps to 2 pages. So I'm not rejoicing over saving swipes, just getting saddled with more taps than I'm used to.

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
What have we come to? If it did take you right back to the home screen, someone else would complain that they have to re-open the folder to get to another app in that folder.

There's an oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico and people are still suffering in Haiti.

All harassment aside, I suppose more customization options would be a good thing.

Honestly? You're on an Apple forum, in the iPhone section. What do you think people are going to be talking about?

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
But how exactly would you organize your folder so that the default-open feature will be helpful?

Take my Photography folder for example. Take a picture using the camera... hop over to a post-processing app... switch over to the Photos app to email a batch of pictures... all without leaving the folder.

Want to catch up on the News? Switch between your News apps without leaving the folder.

I find the behavior useful more often than it's a pain.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
Back with categories, I would have folders with many more than 12 apps in them. It would become slow to load all the icons, and very unorganized.

The only thing I don't like, is you can't put a folder in a folder

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Take my Photography folder for example. Take a picture using the camera... hop over to a post-processing app... switch over to the Photos app to email a batch of pictures... all without leaving the folder.

Want to catch up on the News? Switch between your News apps without leaving the folder.

I find the behavior useful more often than it's a pain.

Aaah, okay, that makes sense.

Me, I don't really have any group of apps that work together like that. Usually when I switch out of an app, I want to do something completely else, and there's no predicting what app I want to use next. I might be working on writing up a report in the Notes app, then stop and be in the mood for a game, a book, some Internet browsing... There's just no telling!

COBRASVT

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2008
Atlanta
Some people will find anything to moan about! It (they) are so sad.

Like every time someone complains, someone else has to complain about them complaining. Every time! Same thing huh? At least when someone is complaining, they are voicing their opinion about something of substance.

And yes, it should be an option to have it either way. I know some see Jobs and a God and w/e he puts on the phone should be the end all, but if that were the case, we'd never have gotten folders in the first place!

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Ever heard of spotlight?

I feel like swiping and then typing out a name is still more time consuming than clicking twice.

And to the OP, I do actually find the issue you mention annoying. So does my friend on his 3GS. I'd prefer to go straight back to the home screen when I press home, and not have to close out of a folder first.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I hear what your saying however I am still undecided if I even want to use them.

It seems since I only use 3 home pages of the 11 we are allowed the Folders seem pointless to me, however I do feel your pain in the multiple steps to access/use them.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
No, I'm not talking about the 12-app per folder limit. I'm talking about how I now need an extra step to get back to the home screen because, if I start an app from inside a folder, then when I'm done with the app, I press the home button, and I go back to the home screen -- but that folder is still open! I have to push the home button *another time* or tap somewhere on the screen to close the folder and *really* get back to the home screen. I searched both google and MRoogle, but didn't see anybody else complaining about this. Am I the only one who find this annoying?

No, you're not. I find it a minor annoyance but not enough to even think about how it could be done better (just took it for granted). But yeah, it really shouldn't keep that folder open after you've picked something so that when you go back to the home screen it's closed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.