Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
No date.
And we know that when Steve Jobs says November, he means November 29th. :D

We'll see..

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Also, November is all we know. Could be November 1st, could be November 30th. I have a feeling November November 16th, that's just my gut feeling

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
I think iOS 4.2 is set for end of November.
I think iOS 4.3 is going to appear (for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad) in March (along with some hardware updates)
then iOS 5.0 in July (for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad).

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
then iOS 5.0 in July (for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad).

Do you think that iOS 5 will be available for the first generation iPad?
I believe YES, but here there are some thoughts:
- iPhone 4 has 512MB RAM
- iPhone 5 will surely have at least 512MB RAM (maybe 1GB?)
- iPad 2 will surely have at least 512MB RAM (maybe 1GB?)
- The current iPad have 256MB RAM and Apple has already "forced" iOS4 to fully run on it. I'm obviously talking about Multitasking.

So.. Maybe Multitasking has been and will be the most important and "heavy" and complex feature that has been added to iOS. And this means that whatever awesome function iOS 5 will have, it won't let down the hardware more than Multitasking.

Maybe an iOS 5 not fully compatible with the first iPad? What do you think?

PS - Anyway, we have to remember that the current iPad has a full 1GHz processor, and this will really help to sustain new functions that will require a strong processor rather than a lot of RAM.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Do you think that iOS 5 will be available for the first generation iPad?
I believe YES, but here there are some thoughts:
- iPhone 4 has 512MB RAM
- iPhone 5 will surely have at least 512MB RAM (maybe 1GB?)
- iPad 2 will surely have at least 512MB RAM (maybe 1GB?)
- The current iPad have 256MB RAM and Apple has already "forced" iOS4 to fully run on it. I'm obviously talking about Multitasking.

So.. Maybe Multitasking has been and will be the most important and "heavy" and complex feature that has been added to iOS. And this means that whatever awesome function iOS 5 will have, it won't let down the hardware more than Multitasking.

Maybe an iOS 5 not fully compatible with the first iPad? What do you think?

PS - Anyway, we have to remember that the current iPad has a full 1GHz processor, and this will really help to sustain new functions that will require a strong processor rather than a lot of RAM.

Honestly, I don't feel the iPad is "forced" with anything.

Multitasking in Beta 2 has been working like a dream. Also, works great on my iPhone 3GS as well which only has 256megs of RAM.

I think Apple knows full well what they are doing.

But yes, iOS 5.x will be gimped on iPad 1 for reasons like they want you to buy an iPad 2. :)

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Even though I don't need any of the new features coming, I'm at a point in a game I'm working on where I have to start testing on iPad too. So far everything works well in iOS 3.2 (or whatever the number is) and hopefully works fine in 4.2 :D

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
But yes, iOS 5.x will be gimped on iPad 1 for reasons like they want you to buy an iPad 2. :)

Come on, the original iPhone has been updated until iOS 3.

Steve Jobs announced the touch-screen as something that could have been updated over years by software update.
How do you think users will react if the iPad is going to stop the software update at iOS 4, after just a year of life?

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Come on, the original iPhone has been updated until iOS 3.

Steve Jobs announced the touch-screen as something that could have been updated over years by software update.
How do you think users will react if the iPad is going to stop the software update at iOS 4, after just a year of life?

The original iPhone didn't even get MMS or A2DP. It was gimped pretty quickly. Even though It ran the same hardware as the 3G. The 3GS didn't get HDR photography. That was also gimped pretty quickly.

fizzwinkus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
these apple cell phones really aren't getting updates, unlike normal cell phones that received updates... never?

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
The original iPhone didn't even get MMS or A2DP. It was gimped pretty quickly. Even though It ran the same hardware as the 3G. The 3GS didn't get HDR photography. That was also gimped pretty quickly.

Yes but 3GS got multitasking and folders, and also the 3G has folders now.
Ok, maybe the current iPad would not run the full iOS 5, but at least a part.
And anyway I can't see an incredible and that heavy feature that will make the first iPad obsolete for iOS 5.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Yes but 3GS got multitasking and folders, and also the 3G has folders now.
Ok, maybe the current iPad would not run the full iOS 5, but at least a part.
And anyway I can't see an incredible and that heavy feature that will make the first iPad obsolete for iOS 5.

I completely agree with you, but there will be some feature of iOS 5 that can't be run on iPad 1. For whatever reason. It doesn't have the hardware, doesn't have the camera (rumors and speculation), whatever. But iOS 5 on iPad 1 will be gimped in some way shape or form.

Of course it will be completely usable and awesome still. :)

I'm still hoping for a dock accessory camera that rotates front and back. That's just my dream.

kevingaffney

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2008
For anyone in a panic, your'e safe enough loading beta2. It's great, almost no bugs. Beta3 in a week should be just about spot on

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
For anyone in a panic, your'e safe enough loading beta2. It's great, almost no bugs. Beta3 in a week should be just about spot on

I completely agree. I am very impressed with Beta 2 so far. However, take note, there are a few things broken, especially some third-party apps.

It's not completely there yet, I would say about 85%. :)

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006

I completely agree. I am very impressed with Beta 2 so far. However, take note, there are a few things broken, especially some third-party apps.

It's not completely there yet, I would say about 85%. :)

Great news guys.
What about the 3G connection? Does it work properly? Can you see it in the Settings?

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Great news guys.
What about the 3G connection? Does it work properly? Can you see it in the Settings?

From the reports, it appears that most people are having success with the 3G connection. I only have a 64GB WiFi iPad connection :)

kevingaffney

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2008
Great news guys.

Can't help on the 3g issue as mine is wifi only.
You have to look hard to find any bugs. Also the talk about a lack of ram is nonsense. Ios4.2 is very smooth and probably running faster than 3.2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.