iOS4 install on 3G - Stop My Backup?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by randomerratum, Jun 21, 2010.

1. randomerratum macrumors 6502

Well maybe I was a bit premature and all the excitement got to me...

I started the iOS4 update process and have been staring at a Backup progress bar that's hasn't gotten to 5% in the last 20 minutes. I'm getting a little anxious about having my phone out of commission (and being unreachable) for more then an hour in the middle of my day.

If I stop the backup, I'm afraid it'll just start updating the phone - which is fine, but I wanted a complete backup of iOS3 just in case...

Will a call come through the backup process? (I'm hearing email "bings" and such) In which case I'll just let it go.

If I stop the process, do I have to complete the update or does it cancel?

2. CaliKev macrumors member

CaliKev

I believe it cancels. Let it do its thing. Mine's been at it for about 20 minutes as well and about 10%. It will probably take about an hour. This is a heady update and the 3G just can't handle it that well. I spent about an hour a few days ago when I installed the GM version. Now redoing it with a full restore in hopes that it runs more smoother.

3. vincecult macrumors newbie

im in the same situation. i have a 3g. my green status bar has been under the k in "backing" for at least 30 minutes now

4. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I'm still in a wait mode. Want to see the comments from others about how iOS 4 is going to perform on an iPhone 3G.

5. joshfree macrumors newbie

I am in same boat. Maybe worse. My progress bar seems stuck under the "B" of "Backing" and hasn't moved for a good 15 minutes. Is anyone having an luck with this?

6. bjobes macrumors regular

Still at K after three hours and doing a backup before the update in preparation. Well that didn't help. This really blows

7. joshfree macrumors newbie

Saw a post that suggests typing Command-period (".") to stop the backup, then let the installation continue from there. I don't have time right now to try it. Please post a reply if it works for you, though.

8. srkislia macrumors newbie

Cancel Backup?

If I manually backup my iPhone 3g then cancel the automatic backup, would by iPhone restore in iOS4, or would my manual backup downgrade back to iOS3? :confused:

9. WillisWasabi macrumors newbie

Appropriate solution

Do a restore upgrade instead of an update upgrade as suggested here.

Upgrades are just failing on the 3G models.