Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

randomerratum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
Well maybe I was a bit premature and all the excitement got to me...

I started the iOS4 update process and have been staring at a Backup progress bar that's hasn't gotten to 5% in the last 20 minutes. I'm getting a little anxious about having my phone out of commission (and being unreachable) for more then an hour in the middle of my day.

If I stop the backup, I'm afraid it'll just start updating the phone - which is fine, but I wanted a complete backup of iOS3 just in case...

Will a call come through the backup process? (I'm hearing email "bings" and such) In which case I'll just let it go.

If I stop the process, do I have to complete the update or does it cancel?

CaliKev

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I believe it cancels. Let it do its thing. Mine's been at it for about 20 minutes as well and about 10%. It will probably take about an hour. This is a heady update and the 3G just can't handle it that well. I spent about an hour a few days ago when I installed the GM version. Now redoing it with a full restore in hopes that it runs more smoother.

vincecult

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
im in the same situation. i have a 3g. my green status bar has been under the k in "backing" for at least 30 minutes now

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I'm still in a wait mode. Want to see the comments from others about how iOS 4 is going to perform on an iPhone 3G.

joshfree

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2007
I am in same boat. Maybe worse. My progress bar seems stuck under the "B" of "Backing" and hasn't moved for a good 15 minutes. Is anyone having an luck with this?

bjobes

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
Still at K after three hours and doing a backup before the update in preparation. Well that didn't help. This really blows

joshfree

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2007
Saw a post that suggests typing Command-period (".") to stop the backup, then let the installation continue from there. I don't have time right now to try it. Please post a reply if it works for you, though.

srkislia

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
Cancel Backup?

If I manually backup my iPhone 3g then cancel the automatic backup, would by iPhone restore in iOS4, or would my manual backup downgrade back to iOS3? :confused:

WillisWasabi

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2008
Appropriate solution

Do a restore upgrade instead of an update upgrade as suggested here.

Upgrades are just failing on the 3G models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.