iOS4 / iP4 -> iTunes still transfer contacts to microSIM?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bawstun, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

Probably a dumb question, but I've never fully understood the purpose of a SIM card with the iPhone when iTunes supposedly syncs all contacts and phonebook entries anyway.

But I believe I have my contacts stored on my sim card and I always do regular backups with 'contacts' checked in iTunes, so am I safe when the new phone comes out with the microsim? Will iTunes automatically sync all my contacts back onto the phone from my 3.1.3 firmware?

And how do you get your contacts back onto the new SIM? AFAIK you can't manually put contacts onto the SIM through iPhone unless it's jailbroken.

2. monksealpup macrumors regular

I don't think the iPhone stores anything to the SIM.

The SIM is required to communicate with the cell network. This is obvious from what SIM means (Google it yourself).

Before you get your new phone, plug in your old one and let it complete its backup. Plug in new phone, restore from that backup, and win.

3. outphase macrumors 65816

You're right. You never understood the purpose of a SIM card. The primary purpose is not for contact management.

4. Bawstun thread starter macrumors 65816

Bawstun

Told ya.

It just doesn't make sense to me that you can import OFF of a SIM card from the phone, but not import TO the sim card (again, unless jailbroken). Why?

I just want to make sure I won't lose these numbers. I'm a simple person...I don't store my contacts in gmail, I don't use microsoft outlook, exchange, or whatever...the only place I have my contacts are on my iPhone contacts app and I wanted to know as long as I make backups, even with iOS4, the contacts will be put back into a new phone, right? I'm kinda paranoid here and don't wanna screw things up.

5. monksealpup macrumors regular

Backups are what you need (though iTunes). Get a trial account with MobileMe if you're super paranoid, or just take a buttload of screenshots of everyone's contact information if you're REALLY paranoid and email them to yourself from your phone.

6. fuzion macrumors 6502

SIM cards have been around for quite a while, before local device storage was really introduced.

SIM cards can store, I believe, 10 text messages, and the contacts are very basic.. Let's say on your iPhone you have a contact with a cell, home, and fax number.. in the sim that would occupy 3 different entries. I don't believe the iPhone looks at anything on the SIM. :)

Make sure you backup your stuff, and remember you'll still have your old phone so if it came down to eat you could simply get the info off the old phone and type it all into the new phone.